1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Air America: Chapter 7

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 21, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tough week to be a liberal.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, if it's the only radio company to go tits up this year, I owe you a beer. Only media business that makes newspapers look good.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think Franken just used it to get elected?

5. YankeeFan

True. And just a couple of years ago they were riding high and there was consolidation.

Everyone wanted to own a radio station.

Besides the debt they accrued, they also killed the goose that laid the golden egg by selling too many commercial minutes per hour. They basically ruined radio.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't know how high they were riding a few years ago. But I know one of my best friends was telling me in 1998, when she had gotten hired at the paper after being laid off from the radio biz after 20 years in it, that radio was doomed for failure and it was happening then. She was subsequently laid off twice from papers, but refuses to even consider a return to radio.

7. YankeeFan

Well, radio stock & holding companies. But maybe not jobs.

Consolidation, syndicated shows, stations programmed from elsewhere all affected the number of jobs.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That Air America made it this long (almost six years) with a horrific business plan to start and the continual turnover of talent (Franken, who left to run for the Senate; Rhodes and Malloy, who went batshit and got fired; Maddow, went on to bigger and better things on TV) is a major upset.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To give you an idea of how radio executives can ruin things, look at what's going on at Tribune Co.

Another example: my brother worked as an accountant for a radio holding company. It had cut people (again), and some executive thought the empty space looked way too depressing. So in went a chair and a Wii. Instant happiness!

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Apparently, they had the business plan backwards: The road to success is to keep the batshit crazy hosts.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gonna be no shortage of erections today among the right.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

After Tuesday's result, that's 48 hours plus, at least. They better call a doctor.

Draft saved Draft deleted