1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AHN Media says it wants a freelance motorsports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Nov 13, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Didn't I hear these folks aren't reputable?

Company: AHN Media Corporation
    Position:
    Auto Racing and Motor Sports Reporter / News
    Writer
    Job Status: Part-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    December 15, 2006
    Job ID: 701218

Description:

Typical Duties:

AHN is looking for a dedicated and driven auto racing and motor sports reporter/news writer for our expanding sports desk. You should be able to develop and write a large volume of interesting short article news stories, field reports and conduct telephone interviews; Establish a good working relationship with sources a; and Perform other tasks related to the position as assigned.

This is a telecommute (remote worker) position using the AHN virtual newsroom.

Requirements:

* You must have a passion for motor sports
    * Familiarity with NASCAR, IRL, NHRA, CCWS, CART, Formula One and others.
    * Ability to meet daily deadlines and work cooperatively with other desk members.
    * High School Diploma or equivalent. College degree with J-School preferred.
    * One (1) year newsroom experience.
    * Must be proficient with computers and word processing systems.
    * Demonstrate sound news judgment, editorial and creative skills.
    * Must be able to effectively and efficiently telecommute.
    * Mastery of journalistic ethics, standards and libel laws.

Extra Credit:

* Ability to voice and produce audio versions of submitted stories

These are part-time temp-permanent positions with potential to become a fulltime for talented and dedicated employees.

For consideration, send a cover letter, resume and recent news item samples to Jobs@AllHeadlineNews.com. The subject line of your email must include AUTO RACING / MOTOR SPORTS REPORTER

2. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Considering the feeding frenzy in the national media for motorsports reporters and these guys don't even require a college degree? Definitely seems a little shady...

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So there's a "seems" and a "haven't I heard" here ... anybody know anything specific, good or bad, about AHN?

4. esiska

esiska New Member

Well, I can tell you that I worked for them as their first ever NASCAR writer....for about a half hour. When they sent me a "sample story" that was poorly written and then told me to "write a story," I was highly skeptical. When I told them there was no news happening at the time to write about, they told me to go online, find other stories, and "put them into my own words."

That's why I'm not working for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted