1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AHL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Went last evening to see AHL hockey game. I am hooked - got to see 5 minute OT and a shootout.

The value as compared to say going to MSG is amazing. Not to mention the ease. Quality of play was great.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: AHL Hockey

Not to be a dick, but welcome to minor league sports -- just as exciting and far more affordable...

Is why I prefer college and high schools in some sports to pros -- they try harder and it's far cheaper.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've been to one AHL game this season and it was entertaining. Took the whole family (four of us) and it cost $46, which is less than one decent NHL ticket would cost. I guess I'm pampered by NHL games, but I really missed seeing the replays on the goals.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's the best minor-league sport, Boom, because IMHO, the players are more interchangeable with the top level than any other major sport. You see it every week, players get called up from the AHL and fitting in comfortably with the parent club.

And with our team, we have the big-screen over the ice and it's really big-league. You don't miss a thing.

5. Boom_70

I don't think you are being a dick at all . It opened my eyes. Hockey seems well suited to minor league sport at smaller arena's. It reminded me of how the NHL used to be.

Quality of play was great and arena I was at showed replays.

5 minute OT was exciting with penalties saw two 4on 3 's and amazing saves by both goalies.

I took my nephews an they stood at glass the whole game. Would have cost $800- $1000 to do same at say MSG. I'm sold.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Boom, some of my favorite sports memories growing up was going to Kansas City Blades games of the old IHL. $5 cheap seats. Whether is was going with my buddies or my girlfriend, I spent countless Fridays and Saturdays in high school at minor-league hockey games. Great, great stuff.

7. Boom_70

Shottie - that was my sense also. Players seemed very interchangable with NHL.

Players played hard - obviously wanting to get a job in the big dance.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

In Hershey, I've found a phenomenon that you don't see in minor-league sports very often.

A number of them -- I'm not saying a majority by any means, but a few of them -- look upon landing in Hershey as an end result. They become so comfortable with the lifestyle, raising a family in a great upscale suburban setting, that they're more than happy to put in 8-9 years with the Bears and retire there.

We have all kinds of recent ex-Bears living around Hershey.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Go to an AHL game when both teams are playing for the third time in three days and get back to me. :) (But I agree, the quality of play is, for the most part, decent and the prices are definitely more affordable)

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bears have six of those Fri-Sat-Sun swings this year, which is more than I thought. There are fewer of them than there used to be. It's more likely to be Wed-Sat-Sun or Wed-Fri-Sat.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I covered an AHL game a couple of weeks ago and, while it was only the second one I've ever been to, I was impressed by it. It was minor league in every way ... but it wasn't (if that makes any sense).

If the season wasn't practically over, I'd probably go again. But next year I'll definitely be going back.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

boom, where did you see a game? i don't pay any attention to the AHL so i'm wondering where the nearest team is to NYC. i haven't been to a minor league hockey game since the minnesota moose folded 10 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted