1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ahhh, youth swim coaches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Oct 31, 2007.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Great phone call yesterday.

A woman leaves me a message, saying she has a few questions.
    Great, you love when they do that. I could get bitched at, praised, mocked, or they could ask what time the football game is Friday.
    I call, it's a local youth swim coach. She asks how to submit info. OK, no biggie, I tell her to email me the results by Monday every week from their Saturday meets.
    Fine, about to hang up...then it happens:
    "How much space will you give it?"
    Shit.
    I can tell she wants specifics. So I give her the whole "as space allows" bit...she pauses.
    I explain our position on only running submissions (not my policy, the papers), send it in...we'll print it after it gets edited...you know the drill.
    "Well it's just that these kids deserve as much recognition as the high school sports."
    Fuck, now I'm in a battle.
    I say that high school sports and anything under high school sports are much different.
    "Well my kids compete just as hard to win"
    Dammit. I hate this woman now.
    I explain that, in my mind, JV and youth sports are about learning the sport, not winning medals (I love that line)...she disagrees.
    "Well, how much does it cost to sponsor a page."
    Whoa...that came outta left field.
    I have no clue, I tell her that. I am the SE, not a sales rep.
    Turns out she is a local business owner. She then tells me she knows the publisher.
    Funny, so do I, what the fuck does that do with the price of tea in China? (I wish I could have said that)
    So now, I am being veiledly threatened by a business owner that "she is going to talk with my big boss" about this matter.
    I say, "Great, I will talk with him also."
    Basically, I beat her to the punch to soften the blow he will get today when his cell phone goes off and it's her.
    Looks like they will be running an ad for the team each week.
    So in a way, by pissing her off, I made the paper money.

So, did I do good? Or will the Pub. be mad at me for not just saying: "Yup, we'll get it in" (even if it's a lie)

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You were proactive, honest and direct. In a perfect world, you would be lauded for the way you handled this.

Knowing the knee-jerk, reactive mentality of most newspaper managers and not knowing your publisher or his ties to this woman, I can only guess how this will turn out.

But you calling him first was the smartest thing you did. Most bosses hate surprises and you getting in the first words not only prepares him for what will ensue, but gets your point in front of him out of the gate.

The fact you "brought in" a full-page ad can only help your cause.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Does she really have that much coin to spring for a full-page ad? Those things aren't cheap and sometimes run four figures, even in community weeklies.

Your publisher should've offered to give you 5 percent commission.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask for some moola...hell, I'm planning on leaving soon anyway...might as well be bold

5. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

"Come on, man! They work just as hard."

"So do I. Maybe the sportswriters should also get a season preview."

6. KP

KP Active Member

You don't?!

My preview said I was a solid writer with the nuts and bolts of a story, but needs to learn how to turn a phrase if he ever plans on getting out of Podunk.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

You handled it as well as anybody possibly could have.

Expect a demotion.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I was labeled "THE NEXT FUCKIN' STUD" by my place, even though I've been there off and on for eight years.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Dude, you didn't even make the honorable mention list.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the things I absolutely love about working at a family-owned paper with a publisher who has balls and a brain...they pull the "Well, do I need to call Mr. Publisher?" card, and I say, "Well, I think he's in his office. I can transfer you to him if you like."

11. KP

KP Active Member

Hope to make the Fall All-Reporter Team though. I think I've put together a solid season, but who knows, it's all political.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We'll be reviewing ballots next week. The Fall All-Reporter Section will be distributed with your USA Weekend, so be on the lookout for it!

Draft saved Draft deleted