1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ahem. I blew a tranny.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Gotcha with the thread title, didn't I? Actually, I was out and about on Saturday, and started having problems with my car's transmission -- to the point that it wasn't getting into gear and despite putting more and more transmission fluid in, I was continually out of fluid. Now -- as the thread title suggests, I was afraid (as one former coworker so adroitly put it) I blew the tranny. As it turns out, the problem was a $170 fix. I was guessing around $800 at least. I sigh with HUGE relief, and the world's not such a sucky place today.

Just a note of thanks to karma, or whatever spectral element of goodwill there is out there that I owe much gratitude to.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I actually knew exactly what this thread was about from the start.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Relieved this isn't about him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Project Runway: Uncensored.

5. [​IMG]

Why's everyone looking at me?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So how long have you owned a Taurus?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No way. Has to be a Chrysler product.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Buick LeSabre, actually. Turns out there's something called a suction modulator, which regulates when gear shifts happen. Mine broke, and every time it tried to gain suction, it was blowing tranny fluid into the engine where it would burn off. Poof. Disappeared. Thankfully, it's located on the outside of the transmission, so I avoided a very expensive repair.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

You, ahem, got off luckier than you realize. A failed transmission that results in having to have a new one put in likely wouldn't be less than $2,000. I had a problem recently with my Rodeo where the servo cover was leaking, which cost me $250 (including the fluid change, good god this thread is rife with verbal peril) and I gladly paid it, knowing I would have to spend 10 times that much.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

S'OK, Killick.

I fucked a hobo.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That is so wrong, Zeke.

The preferred term is homeless person.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

So you thought you blew a tranny, but it was really just a broken suction modulator?

(uh huh huh huh huh)

Draft saved Draft deleted