1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ah, Cowherd

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Manifesto of Fratboy Nation:

Proudly stupid, sexist, misogynist, borderline racist, xenophobic, homophobic, elitist and infatuated with the toasty aroma of his own farts.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. They get what's called "tax incentives."

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The few times I tried to listen to his show, the logic he tried to employ was so flawed and so banal, I haven't been able to go back. He really likes to use the 'since A=B, then C=D must be true' logic (illustrated again in the first post above). Only problem is AB and CD have absolutely no rational relationship, and his A=B statements aren't always true.

Worst sports radio show I've ever heard. And I won't be back.

Don't bother yourself with Cowherd, Alma--you're above that.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The kicker was that Cowherd actually said <i>spiritually</i> successful, too. <i>Thou shalt not take Medicaid.</i> Or something like that.

I'm just shocked ESPN continues to employ him, and that the old Ombud has devoted a column especially to him. No one else at ESPN even remotely sounds like he does. When they're sober, anyway.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I gotta admit...it was the "spiritually successful" line that got me. I'd never heard the phrase before and it just sounds so...inane.

At any rate, I am interested that ESPN bothers to employ the creep. I imagine it's because Cowherd probably goes wherever they tell him to, sells up the affiliates with a glut of dirty stories. They're not supposed to talk about that on air, but it's just as important as the actual show. That's why radio is royally screwed up.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, a spiritually strong father wouldn't want his kids to eat if the government was footing the bill. Gotcha.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this rant was spurred by something recently with his ex-wife.

How she lasted as long as she did ...

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

He actually was a decent guy when I knew him, before he went to ESPN. His show in those days certainly was (for lack of a better word) irreverent, but nowhere near what it is now.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't know that he isn't a decent guy. He just doesn't sound like one.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Very, very accurate. I noticed the same thing. He became a REAL asshole soon after he broke up.

I now leave the radio off at that time of the day rather than have him as background noise.

11. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

Cowherd is great, I don't see what the big deal is.

Draft saved Draft deleted