1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aging gracefully?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Today happens to be birthday number 32 for ye old Chef, and it hasn't really wigged me out like some of the others have.......25, 29, 30 were rather freakish, and am not real excited about 35 or 40.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for everyday that I have, and I know that "age ain't nuthin but a number", but nonetheless....

What birthday number has freaked you out the most?

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I have never been a good birthday guy. I always end up reflecting on my life to that point, but not in a neccessarily good way. I always think I should have accomplished more by now, whatever that "now" is. For instance, I turned 44 this year and spent most of the day upset that I didn't have more money put away for college for my daughter. Every year it's something.

Yes, I am aware that I am crazy.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Turned 25 back in September and to be honest, it wasn't 'freakish' to me. Therer was no big party or anything. Just last Friday I had to fork over my license to buy some beer. I don't mind it. Also, I hardly feel like I'm 25. To be honest, I feel like I'm still 19.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

40. 'cause i had vivid memories of my dad at 40 and he seemed like SUCH AN OLD GUY. :eek: :eek: :eek:

i thought, "is that how my three boys see me?" ??? ??? ???

i finally rationalized that my generation is a much more hip, youthful -- read: immature -- one than my parents. hey, we're called baby boomers for a reason, right? ;D ;D ;D

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

32.....MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This year's (31) was tough. I think it might be all the rest of the stuff that's gone on in the past year for me personally, but I had a really tough time with it.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

30 was tough. 31, 32, 33 - not so much.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

36 was tough because I was no longer a member of the 18-35 or 24-35 demographic.

I hit 40 in a couple of weeks. I dunno how that's gonna be.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

35 is the biggy. 20 is clearly still 'young.' 50 is clearly not still 'young.'

When you hit 35, you are closer to 50 than 20. I told a buddy of mine that when he turned 35 and it bummed him out pretty bad.

My brother turns 40 next summer. I'm going to let him know it, too.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Another year passes for me today as well. :D I find that it's more disconcerting when your kids reach certain ages. She's HOW old? "Well, I started early." That doesn't work long.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Hey......you were 32 once........I think it was still B.C. though.

just messin.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I had a hard time with 23 for personal reasons. Every woman in my family had been married by 23. I was not. That was rough for me. During my 23rd year, however, I got engaged and I think when I hit 24 next Wednesday, I won't think about another birthday until 35.

Draft saved Draft deleted