1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ages

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

It's also a potential hedge against libel. If you write that John Smith, 25, was arrested for something, then you make it that much more difficult for 43-year-old John Smith to sue you, saying his reputation was damaged by the story.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Agreed. At the very least, declined is better, and even better than that would be (a) leave it out, because who cares or (b) have a bit of fun with it. "Bowler, who keeps her age a closely guarded secret -- 'old enough to know better,' she said with a wink -- "

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You can find just about anybody's age by looking it up on the Internet, if you know the name and the town where they live.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

He added it in the editing process. I thought it was a slap in the face to her and a little over the top. The tone didn't match the rest of it. It's like it gave him some power or something. It really made him mad. For something silly like a fun feature. She was good and had done well on the national level, but she wasn't making millions or anything. Not the end of the world and for it was I think you have to respect people when are shy or timid about something. It's not like she was hiding that she robbed a bank.

5. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I agree it's all about context. But I'm not one who litters game stories with senior, junior, sophomore, redshirt junior (when did this become a thing?), etc. When I was writing all the time, I probably didn't use them enough.

Sometimes I'll edit it out of AP copy, but I always leave it for Geezers Tour in the golf roundups. Because I do find it interesting, or maybe it's because 55 doesn't seem nearly as old anymore, making me think the future still holds hope.

Side rant: What I don't get, is a photo cutline, why do I care where in the hell is a golfer or tennis player is from? I get it with Davis Cup events, or whatever, but random tournaments?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'd also say that age is irrelevant probably 80 or 90 percent of the time. It should be used as an identifying characteristic in crime stories and there is nothing wrong with having it in a feature in most cases. I find it useful a lot in sports, when you are talking about prospects or veteran players and how old they are matters. If read that the local NHL team signed Jaromir Jagr, I'd sure expect the age to be in there.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I disagree. Age is one of the most important identifiers.
    The best reporters nail all the details. It was taught this way in better times.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't way it is irrelevant, just not necessary in a lot of cases. The only time I think it is definitely needed are in cases where it adds context or identity.

Draft saved Draft deleted