1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agents Allegedly Arrested at NFL Combine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Feb 28, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So first Mike Florio reports on PFW that two agents were arrested and cuffed Friday at the Combine, where no agents are allowed. Florio asks everyone associated with the incident, including the league, denials all around.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/26/sources-two-agents-ejected-from-restricted-area-at-scouting-combine-on-friday

Then SportsbyBrooks names the agents, Jimmy Sexton and Pat Dye Jr, who got passes from Under Armour and went to the Combine, against the rules. Dye was arrested, Sexton got out before he was caught.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/pat-dye-jr-cuffed-at-combine-sexton-escapes-29531

I don't know why, but I love this story.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I blame Peter King.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Under Armour is really racking up the headlines this week.

You know somewhere there's a Nike exec thinking, 'Amateurs. Act like ya been here before.'

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Nick Saban: "See! See?!?!? I told ya. Pimps. They'll stop at nothing!"

Jimmy Sexton and Pat Dye Jr. aren't newbies, either. Not hard to look at this and think this was a practice where NFL folks looked the other way in the past, but because of the labor negotiations decided not to any more.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Point of order: The only reference to an arrest in either of those stories is with the PIO saying no arrest had been made.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So Sexton specializes in college coaches and Dye reps for athletes? And they're in business together? That's not passing the smell test to me.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What about the agent business does pass the smell test? Every one of them that I've ever talked to says he's trying to be different, be the one who creates a higher standard. And they all swim around in the muck together. (Actually the one guy who never told me he wants to be different or ethical or any of that hogwash is Drew Rosenhaus, which I guess counts as honorable in that slag heap.)

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Most agents mingle player and coaches, no rule against that.

Sexton has been around a long time, handling players and coaches in football and basketball. Should have known better than to get caught in this silly mess.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, sexton knows better. he's just an arrogant prick who never thinks the rules apply to him. the only way for this story to be better is if drew rosenhaus was discovered to be a third.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

show me the bail money

11. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Isn't Jimmy Sexton Nick Saban's agent?

Wonder how he feels about that preseason "pimps" comment now?

Hypocrite.

12. bueller

bueller Member

I was thinking that as I read every post.

Draft saved Draft deleted