1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After years of sobriety, columnist returns to the bars

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Mar 19, 2007.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

not to stereotype or generalize about fans. there's lots of different kinds. burger apparently is talking about the beer-swilling sports bar kind.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I don't know about that.

This:

doesn't sound like he's just talking about "the beer-swilling sports bar kind" of fan.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest1999/writing/100-250.burger1.html

Along the lines of the original column, that rates as one of the best columns I've ever read.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

wow. great column on john daly.

back to his SMG comments: i wonder how many writers (and editors) don't like fans. how can you work in this business if you don't? i mean, aren't they your customers?

5. He's a people-person with a lot of charisma. I can't really see him hating anything. I just think he's talking about the negative aspect of being a fan, all the poor-sportsmanship and one-up comments. I think he's more into playing just for playing and loving what you do.

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

the negative aspect - like spending most waking hours on bracketology, fantasy teams, reading blogs, preparing for signing day, studying wonderlic scores, wearing nothing but body paint on a 20 degree day, screaming at talk radio guys?

you mean the Get-a-Life aspect? where reasonably intelligent people can converse for hours about the nfl draft but probably couldn't tell you what committees their local congressman sits on?

that negative aspect?

or something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted