1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After Tuesday Hillary WILL ... ?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Feb 28, 2008.

?

Assuming a split, what will Hillary do?

1. Stay in the race and make it ugly with lawyers, etc.

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Stay in the race but keep it relatively civil.

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Bow out gracefully.

15 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. Bow out with serious snark, taking potshots, etc.

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. I don't pretend to know what Hillary will do.

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I won't pretend to be able to read anyone's mind - - let along Hillary Clinton's. But if past behavior is any reasonable predictor of future behavior, what she will do after next Tuesday will be whatever she deems to be in her best interest.

If that means staying in the race until convention time, that's what she will do.

If that means dropping out of the race for any reason whatsoever, that's what she will do.

Like every politician at the national level, I really do not believe she has any altruistic thoughts on any subject.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I just wonder, though, that given that she thought she'd have the nomination in a lock by Super Tuesday, and her yes people went along with that, how her judgment is clouded.
    Her campaign has been so poorly run from day one and I just wonder what advice she's getting about what to do if she loses Tuesday.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I would caution against forgetting the two states between Tuesday and Pennsylvania.

Let's say that they split on Tuesday, Obama taking Texas and Vermont, Clinton winning Ohio and Rhode Island. Further, let's say the delegates are largely a split.

How can she win? She's likely to get thumped in Wyoming on the 8th and in Mississippi on the 11th, allowing Obama to extend his delegate lead.

How can she possibly justify staying in for five weeks heading up to Pennsylvania?

I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to stay in if she wants -- she does. But at this hypothetical point, which really lays out her best-case scenario, she just can't win.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

She can't justify it.
    Everyone knew Fred Thompson was lazy and was DOA from the start. But he ran anyway.

5. Yes, and those two campaigns are demonstrably similar.
    Jesus.
    As long as the margin between them is less than a reasonable proportion of the superdelegates, she runs. I don't know why zeke wants her out. It's hard to argue that campaigning against her, and debating her, hasn't made Obama a better candidate.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

You are missing my point, F_B.
    I am saying even when the momentum is against you, you ignore that and do what you want anyway.

7. Yeah, but Fred never got close. This campaign is closer than the momentum would indicate. However, it looks today like she's really out of money and getting outspent hugely in both Ohio and Texas.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fen, she can stay in this thing as long as she likes. I'm (mostly) fine with that. But I truly believe that had Obama lost 11 straight contests, and needed to split the remaining delegates 70-30 to win, a lot of folks in the media would be pressuring him daily -- if not hourly -- to drop out. For all the alleged Clinton distain (some of which is very real) I don't think there's been much of a drumbeat at all to force her out yet. It may very well pick up when she loses Texas (and she's definitely losing Texas) but Obama would be getting hammered if their situations were reversed, especially if he couldn't raise money the way she can't right now. Hammered.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

DING! DING! DING!

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

...or sell 'em on eBay, make some of that money back.

I don't see her dropping out.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because I don't have your faith that she won't go all the way to the convention behind and tear the party in two trying to win some other way than having the most votes and delegates.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I voted that I have no idea (and I was the second person to vote, so at the time "I dunno" was leading with both votes cast).

And I still don't.

With some of her superdelegates finally abandoning ship, I hope she sees the light after she gets her butt handed to her next week. However, I fear that she will try to drag it out until the convention.

Draft saved Draft deleted