1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After this topic, sports journalism would go on to kill "would" in TV & print...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BobSacamano, Jan 13, 2013.

1. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

"They would go on to tie the game before the half."

"He would hit two more doubles by the end of the game."

"The coach would pull the quarterback in the fourth quarter."

"He would allow two more goals in the third period."

Does this grind anyone else's gears? It's all over Sportscenter and the recap shows, and I can't read a gamer without seeing it. What's the rule here? Aren't all recaps understood to be written (and spoken) in past tense, negating the need for "would" to express the future in past tense? Haven't we all had editors condense our writing while preaching less is more?

"They tied the game before the half."

"He hit two more doubles before the game ended."

"The coach pulled the quarterback in the fourth quarter."

"He allowed two more goals in the third period."

All of those say the same thing, right?

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When reading highlights, that tense can be used to indicate momentum. It has to do with story building... a subtlety, showing something progressive. But you're right, it's probably overused.

3. writingump

writingump Member

Very much overused, and I find it slipping into my copy occasionally. Good lesson for all of us.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I rarely use it.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I see it all the time in print. At the end of the day, this device breaks contain at desks throughout the country.

6. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Agree with you, Bob. Was always taught write everything in past tense - it happened already.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Lots of PR recaps from college and minor league teams do that. I kill 'would' the second I see it and re-write it. I hate that word.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Seconded. Going back to a moment in great detail and using "would" to explain the future is a nice storytelling technique.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The sports stories in the weekly competing with us are littered with "would", sometimes twice in the same sentence. On the other hand, it's made me so conscious of the word that when I begin to type it, I immediately stop so I can think of a better word.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's just it. It can be a good storytelling tool, as noted above, but inexperienced writers and reflexive announcers ring that bell so often now, they've deadened it.

So, use sparingly, as in maybe one good takeout piece a year. Maybe.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

HUGE pet peeve. I have a guy who writes the juco stuff, and sometimes it takes longer to edit his stuff than if I wrote it myself.

This is one of his biggest sins.

12. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

We have a stringer who uses it...I've explained to him repeatedly that it's unnecessary and almost irritating to read. He looks at me like I grew a third eye...

Draft saved Draft deleted