1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After Scott Baio last night, he figured he'd seen enough...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Jul 20, 2016.

1. I worked "Malachi Crunch" into a prep football game story, once. The ASE, who's also my age, nearly pissed his pants he laughed so hard.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive Hollywood family tree with Garry and Penny and her ex Rob Reiner and his dad Carl

CD Boogie likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And they are all from the Bronx (Grand Concourse). My mom and her family are from there and knew the Marshalls, not the Reiners. Also Bronx contemporaries were Ralph Lipshitz (Ralph Lauren), Neil Simon, Calvin Klein and Sidney Paddy Chayefsky. Nobel Prize winner Robert Lefkowitz, Father Joseph McShane, President of Fordham University, Harold Bloom , Mary Higgins Clark, Don DeLillo, E.L. Doctorow, Jules Feifer, David Halberstam, Chaim Potok, William Safire, ALan Alda, Woody Allen, Lauren Bacall, Anne Bancroft, Tony Curtis, Sal Mineo, Carroll O'Connor (a teacher before he became an actor and taught with my grandfather ), Al Pacino, Peter Falk, Robery Klein (also a family friend)

So many really successful and famous people born between 1920 and 1940 ( pre baby boomer, really depression babies) grew up lower middle and working class, public school education. Many DeWitt Clinton HS and Evander Childs. Not the children of professionals or managers. Lots of immigrants. Jews, Irish, Italian. And in a 20 year period within a couple of miles of each other that area provided Business Founders, Judges, Nobel Winner, Pulitizer Winners, Oscar Winners.

RIP Garry. A Terrific talent and person

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, with a three network platform, everyone was watching the same shit, which basically forced the common lexicon into being. Never liked M*A*S*H or Laverne & Shirley, but Happy Days holds fond memories. Haven't watched Breaking Bad and GOT yet; saving it for the rest home, when everyone will be dropping Seinfeld lines and hopefully nothing from Laverne and Shirley.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Polo cologne by Ralph Lipshitz.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Happy Days was a really good and sometimes important show in its early seasons.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Parks and Rec where designer Dennis Feinstein's real name was Dante Fierro, but he went with one that was more exotic in Indiana.

CD Boogie likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

His Lipshitz, my Tungfartz.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Happy Days was pretty much a ripoff of American Graffiti. They even imported Ron Howard from it and Fonzie was a reprise of the John Milner character.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For a fairly long period of time, my father manufactured Polo and Ralph Lauren lines of men's footwear; every single time he went to meet with him, dad would crack, "Gotta go to dinner with Lipshitz again...."

/WhitmanesqueHumblebrag

YankeeFan and CD Boogie like this.
  11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lipshitz was also Hal Linden's given name.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I believe Art Donovan as well.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted