1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After 15 years it's over

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by highlander, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

So sorry, Highlander. Best of luck.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Googlelawyer says that employers do not have to pay vacation pay in Texas unless there is a written agreement saying otherwise.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That can't be right. If you're a fulltime employee, accrued vacation is time/money you earned.
    There has to be some recourse for you. See if you can find a low-cost lawyer who'll help.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it Highlander. Good luck.

And try several lawyers. I hope one of them will take your case.

I've been saving my vacation time, because in my state, I know they have to pay it in case they fire me. So, I haven't burned any of it, and taken my time off with the furloughs.

5. highlander

highlander Member

I was planning on making stew yesterday, but when I got the call that we needed to be in the office for a 4:30 meeting, so I put off that. I'm going to take Max for a walk and then make some stew, which is actually more like soup.

[​IMG]
    [size=10pt]Max[/size]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. highlander

highlander Member

Here's an excerpt from the only lawyer reply I received.

I am very sorry about your situation....it is happening all over....generally speaking vacation time is a "gift" from employer for "employees". No one is entitled to vacation time. Most companies will give something to employees though.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, so take this with a grain of salt. But anyhoo:

It might not be worth it in terms of money to pursue, but I would think that the vacation time is part of the negotiated package when they hire you. Essentially, a verbal contract (if nothing in writing), where the proof is that you took vacation time in previous years.

It seems like they are going back on their word, although, if there's nothing in writing, they can argue that you were free to take the vacation time in the previous months.

Now, if you tried to take vacation time, and they rebuffed you, then you might have a better case, too. Of course, you'd have to be able to prove that (rejection e-mails, etc.)

Like I said, I'm no lawyer. And it really sucks that they treated you this way, especially with no severance.

8. At the very least, I would let anyone and everyone who works for the papers you worked at know how you've been treated. At least that way, they know to take their vacation time as soon as they can.

What a bunch of pricks in management. How do you sleep at night having just done that to someone?

9. highlander

highlander Member

Like I said before, if I had used more vacation time then I had accrued they would have made me pay them back for the time.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Which, to me, is another mark in your favor. Because that's evidence that it's being accrued over time, and is therefore earned, rather than a "gift" as that lawyer told you.

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Yeah, but we're legally supposed to be paid for overtime, too. Raise your hand if you ever get paid for overtime at your newspaper.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

And don't fall for any friendly overtures. Stick to your guns. They aren't your friends. Stand up for what's rightfully yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted