1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

After 12 years, 'Rent' will close June 1

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mira

Mira Member

Hubby and I honeymooned in New York and had eighth row center seats for Rent in 2000. Loved it.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or not, as it turns out. Very good movie; never saw the play.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

First show my son saw, he went to NY with me for the Big East tournament in 2004. The way it had been drawing lately, I figured it was a matter of time. Still some sad news for those of us who enjoy Broadway.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I'm going in April to see it.

5. Moderator1

Let us know what you think - I'd kind of like to get up there and see it again before it closes.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I saw it a long time ago, in 1999. It wasn't bad, though at the time, I was just an immature 16-year-old kid, so it didn't have a lot of impact on me. I just remember telling my sister it was "way too fucking long."

My mom and sister adored it, though.

7. jadzia

jadzia New Member

I've seen this show several times, both on Broadway and on tour, and have loved every performance. The stage show is so much better than the movie, though I also enjoyed the film. It's sad that it's closing, but not surprising given the dwindling audience and the now-somewhat-dated message.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great show that was originally scheduled to close on Oct. 29, 2006. My niece, who had seen it once, absolutley had to see the final performance so we got tix for Oct. 29 as a birthday gift. By the time the show rolled around, they had announced that it wasn't closing.
    I'm sure I'll be hearing from her tomorrow that we NEED to go to the final performance on June 1, especially since her scheduled third time to see it was cancelled by the stagehands strike.
    I'd definitely see it again.

9. Moderator1

Wait, well, maybe not because they will sell quickly. A rumor on talkinbroadway.com is that it will extend for the summer and then close - that a Rent on Life Support run will draw big numbers.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Haven't seen it or Spamalot. I prolly need to go out and catch them before the curtains go down for good.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Those punks Mark and Roger always were pretty tough to evict.

Draft saved Draft deleted