1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghani rape victim freed from jail, on condition she marry rapist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's a good question.

But I'm not sure that hanging socially unacceptable discrimination on religion saves it, at least not for me. Didn't we used to use the Bible to justify slavery? And we use it now to justify discrimination against gays.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The answer is obvious. The U.S. has the power to project the Western ideas of morality on other cultures, so other societies can't. Europeans haven't been able to force the U.S. and Japan to abandon capital punishment.

Is it right to force other nations to respect your morals? That's a personal choice, but would you do business with a known and active child molester because you don't want to impose your morals on him/her? Why can't those small-scale choices be extended to the international plane?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There's a distinction?

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me that some of the same people who would advocate tolerance of these cultures that clearly discriminate and even do great physical and emotional harm to women and gays would jump at the first chance to harp on sexual harrassment in the workplace or discrimination against gays when it happens in the U.S. And last time I checked, calling a woman in the office, "baby," or telling an off-color joke in mixed company was light years away from forcing a woman to marry her rapist or an honor killing.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As a practical matter, yes. Political problems can usually be solved. Religious problems cannot.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Someone with more knowledge of history can probably weigh in on this, but was the U.S. pressured by other countries to ban slavery? Did others — foreign groups, organizations, governments — try to impose their morality on the country then (as opposed to American abolitionists)?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Confederacy would have likely been recognized as a legal government by the U.K. and France if it banned slavery.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Exactly.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Are we talking about posters here, or writers out in the wider world?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If we're talking about posters here, I agree with Hondo. In the distinction with board members is hilarious.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of deciding which "crime" is worse.

The other day we debated how bad "bitch" was, and whether is was in the same league as the "N" word.

They're both wrong, and there's no reason to qualify the degree to which one is wrong by pointing out something else is worse.

Sexual harassment is wrong. It's not a joke. And, we don't need to compare it to child brides or female genital mutilation in order to lessen its substance.

And, I'm not going to tell anyone to not fight office place harassment.

But, we should also fight what's happening in the middle east.

If we're going to hold marches when a Catholic School's health services doesn't distribute birth control, can we please muster a little outrage about women being forced to marry their rapist?

And, saying we don't think our culture is "better" is no excuse.

In fact it's the opposite. If we didn't think we were better than them, we would rightly point this out to our "peers". It's only because we think they're somehow not capable of living up to societal norms that we give them a pass.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How?

Draft saved Draft deleted