1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Afghani rape victim freed from jail, on condition she marry rapist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 2, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Such a lack of progress.

2. YankeeFan

More misogyny:

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't know why the U.S. is engaged in nation building there. It's futile.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Very similar to the attitudes in the 1950s south, where they said allowing African Americans to vote and go to the same schools would result in all the white women being raped.

5. YankeeFan

But, we all to rarely tell these fuckers how wrong they are. We don't want to offend them.

We don't even mock them. I mean, a University study says allowing women to drive will lead to the end of virgins? The proof is some anecdotal evidence -- that surely flatters himself -- that women in some other country were all "checking him out".

Mocking something so stupid might shame them. This is their idea of science?

But, we can't hurt their feelings.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

How would we feel if other cultures tried to dictate their set of morals to us?

I don't advocate for this treatment, obviously . . . but I don't support a United States of America that wants to tell other cultures how to treat each other. We are not a moral arbiter.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Then the U.S. shouldn't be nation-building, because that's applying Western values on their culture. What about human rights in general? That's dictating morals.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If they want to herd their Christians into gas chambers and concentration camps, that's their business.

9. YankeeFan

Sorry, but at some point, wrong is wrong.

We criticized South Africa's Apartheid regime. We even criticize Israel.

This isn't some cultural quirk.

Things like female genital mutilation, forcing women to marry their rapists, etc. are severe human rights violations. The entire civilized world should be shouting it down.

I like this story:

Maybe we can't do anything about it. But, then we should not pretend we are dealing with modern, civilized societies. And we should make it clear we do not consider them to be such.

Peter the Great sought to modernize Russia 300 years ago because he wanted his nation to be viewed as modern and civilized by the West.

We patronize the Muslim world by not expecting more from them.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some of these cultures might respond:

"Human rights" . . . according to WHOM?

The "Civilized world" . . . according to WHOM?

Shockingly, no one addressed my question regarding how 'Mericans would feel if another culture tried to force its own brand of morality on us. I guess the answer is obvious.

As I said, I don't advocate for any of this (despite heyabbott's latest overheated snot bubble), but this is why so-called "nation building" ultimately doesn't work. No one wants to be dictated to as far as what their societal norms should be.

11. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

The entire point of developing a "set of morals" is to determine, as a society, what we consider to be right and wrong. If we've made those decisions, then we absolutely should do everything we can to ensure that they are abided by. Otherwise, they mean nothing.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why are your society's morals the right ones? The Western world's, and particularly America's, "morals" are based primarily on a book of fairy tales, just like the ones in Afghanistan. What makes yours right and theirs wrong?

Draft saved Draft deleted