1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mattyb, Sep 24, 2007.

1. mattyb

mattyb Guest

What is the best kind of paper for a new sports writer to start at? I started working at a daily paper in June. I'm the only sports writer. No sports editor and 14 high schools and one college in the area. I put the sports section together 3-4 nights out of the week and attempt to keep the sports department organized and going. I basically do everything the SE would do.

The paper is about a 10,000 circulation paper in south mississippi. I took this job b/c I thouht it would be a good starting place where i could learn and gain experience to eventually become an SE.

It's a little overwelming. I don't know if i'm just being a baby about it or if I do have bum job.

Is this the most ideal place to start or should i look for another job?

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If you are enjoying what you are doing stay there. Any place you start is the right place if you are happy, getting the experience/clips, and enjoying yourself.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

the kind with a paycheck.

Honestly, it probably is a little more work than just one person should be doing. You might not have the title, but if you're the only sports person on staff, you're the sports editor.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

did you not know all this before you took the job?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The good thing about where you are at is it sounds like you are getting a lot of experience.

The bad thing about where you are at is it sounds like you are getting no guidance.

Ideally, you'd get on the staff of a large Metro paper and have lots of responsibility and can learn from bosses and co-workers.

But, alas, most of us have to make do with reality.

Draft saved Draft deleted