1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on Maui Invitational

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PaulS, Aug 12, 2010.

1. PaulS

PaulS Member

Covering the Maui Invitational in November. Two questions for anybody with experience.

1) Are there places to stay close to the Lahaina Civic Center other than the tournament hotels?
    2) Do people often take the redeye flight on the final day in order to get home on Thanksgiving?

Thanks.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Read 'Curse of Lono' before going.
    That's really for the template for the serious journalist on assignment in Hawaii.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I was on my honeymoon in Maui during the 2007 Invitational - actually ran into a bunch of Marquette players at the hotel. We were at the Westin Maui, which is up the coast in Kanaapali (not sure what the hotel situation in Lahaina is). It was a sweet hotel, but probably more pricy than a newspaper would be interested in paying.

So basically, I'm of no help at all.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Westin on Guam is very nice.
    The one in LA down the road from Hollywood Park is nice, especially for such a crummy area.
    Those are the only two Westins at which I've stayed.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A box on the beach is more pricey than a newspaper is interested in paying.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

1. There are no inexpensive hotels on Maui so the tournament room rate is probably a best deal you're going to find.

2. To save space in your suitcase don't bother packing socks.

3. Redeyes are pretty much the only way to get home from Hawaii so if you don't leave the last night of the tournament you'll be on a redeye the next night anyway.

4. Traffic is HORRIBLE on Maui so you'll be better off staying in Lahaina than anywhere else. Do not even consider staying down in Wailea/Kihei. You'll spend all day in the car going back and forth to the gym.

5. If you do stay over to fly out the night after the tournament ends keep in mind that the hotel will not let you keep your room all day. You'll either have to check out around noon-1 p.m. and have about 10 hours to kill without a place to clean up or change before your flight or have to pay for another day to keep your room til you're ready to leave for the airport.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And..

6. If you're willing to splurge a little (and drive a little) I highly recommend Mama's Fish House for dinner. It's on the beach in Paia, which is on the other end of the island at the start of the Road to Hana, but it's worth it.

As far as touristy stuff goes, if you have time either drive up to the top of Haleakala or - if you have a day to kill - Drive the Road to Hana.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yes SIR.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't see how intimate details about my hobbies and my personal life are germane.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We decided it wasn't worth it. Great, great fish ... but hugely expensive. Think: the most expensive restaurant you've ever been to, add $10.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The year I went, I rented a condo and it was a LOT cheaper than the tournament hotels. There are a number of condos available for rent near and in Lahaina. I had way more room than I needed: three bedrooms, two baths and a full kitchen. The place even had a nice pool and was right near the beach. I needed a rental car anyway so I figured I could drive to the gym. I was only about 10 minutes away and it was no problem getting there. I'll have to look at my travel journal and try to find the name of the place and maybe some restaurant suggestions. It's a great, great trip though. I actually took two days afterward and flew over to Kauai so I spent my Thanksgiving on Maui going to a luau with two other reporters for the holiday dinner, which turned into a bit of a catastrophe but makes for a fun story to tell. But you could take the redeye I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted