1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice On Landing An SID Gig

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That's it. I'm applying. Anyone have any advice on how to tailor the resume to land the job? Anyone who's gone from reporter to SID have any advice?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did I just answer this or was that a PM? Anyway:

*Play up your writing ability. SID is an outdated term now. The reason the term Director of Communications or whatever is used now is there's so much more writing involved. There's one more media outlet - YOUR Web site. You will write a lot.

*Play up your ability to recognize - and SELL - a story.

*Play up your contacts, people you know who might buy what you are selling.

Newspapers got into new technology and communications offices are, too. Show what you know. The writing skills are the big thing. Stat packs can be taught. Writing isn't as easy to teach. Nor are people skills. You don't have that, forget about this side of the coin.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

There may be a thread on this, or you answered in public elsewhere, but I've been in the Back 40 without internet for a week or so. Thanks for the response.

4. Moderator1

No worries. Keep me posted.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Please don't ... that's my advice. Do we have to lose another one to the dark side?

6. Moderator1

Hey. YOU are the dark side!! This is the bright side.
    At least that's what I'm saying now.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

include the lines: "I've loved sports my entire life. Watch it on TV all the time."

that will wow them.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Send in a picture of yourself wearing said school's apparel. A themed Speedo will do the trick.

9. Moderator1

Hahahahahhahahahahahhahahaha.
    You guys crack me up.
    Now get off stage and let people answer the man's question.
    Thanks.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Okay, here's some real help since I noticed some things when a friend of mine was trying to get an SID gig.

Be a self-starter. You need to be able to do your work without asking what you should do next. That takes time in a new place, but you need to catch on quickly.

Why do you want to move over to the other side of the business? It's not better hours or even pay in some places. You'll be asked that and think of your answer now.

Pay closer attention to video and audio production. For some schools, that matter. You might even have to do play-by-play of women's basketball or softball.

11. StraightEdge

StraightEdge Guest

Accept that it may not pay any better than what you make now. I interviewed at a D-IA that payed less than what I make at my paper, which is still under $30k.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I want to keep this thread on my radar because I, too, like Pete, have my eyes on a SID/Director of athletic communications job. (hopefully it's not the same one!) I would also like some advice on how to go from newspapers to the SID ranks.

Also, the knowledge of stat crew is required, and i've never used it before, since I didn't work in the sid/ad's office at school.
    I know what it is -- how hard is it to learn?

Draft saved Draft deleted