1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on dealing with other sports parents

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Volleyball1971, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know, be honest with your daughter. Ask her what she really wants, is making the middle school team that important? Or does she prefer to spend more time with her friends (and the lower club team?) Is that okay with her if it might impact her chances of making the school team? As a parent, I always wrestle with the "make it better for my kids than I had it" vs. "am I giving too much direction and should I let them figure it out on their own?"

Volleyball1971 likes this.
  2. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

If your daughter wants to return to the less advanced team and the club allows it, by all means, do it.

MAKE SURE the coach of the team and the director of the club are aware of the untoward comments at that scrimmage and the “snitches get stitches” comment. Demand to know how they plan to respond to these incidents. If you’re not satisfied, escalate these incidents to the regional organization and higher if necessary – bullying is not cool. [I don’t like to be the “I’m going to tell!” guy, but what you say is outrageous.]

Be a positive example yourself. Congratulate players on opposing teams for good plays and the like.

Volleyball1971 likes this.
  3. Volleyball1971

Volleyball1971 New Member

I’m just going to stay positive, stay away from the crazy parents and try to keep my daughter happy and follow her lead on what she wants out of volleyball. My husband and I don’t “ live” through what our daughter is doing like I see these other parents doing. I also don’t expect a college scholarship or the Olympics. A parent on our team asked our Coach at the last tournament when the scouting would start. We are a 12 U team. The kids are 11.

4. Volleyball1971

Volleyball1971 New Member

By the way there is a meeting Tuesday to address the teams behavior with the director of the club. My daughter spoke with the Coach but nothing was done so I spoke with the Coach and she called her boss ( the coach over her) which in turn called the director because they have to report any complaints.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I can positively say that if the parents reallocated the $$ on sports and directed those funds to education, tutoring, etc., not very sexy, but definitely a better college payoff (I've seen it going through my second college application process).

Dog8Cats and Volleyball1971 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted