1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice on dating a woman with kids?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by westcoastvol, Nov 5, 2007.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My mom remarried when my sister and I were 11 and 9 (dad was around kinda sorta). My stepdad has been a great role model and wonderful husband (they are now on yr. 35).

I don't have much advice on the early part of courtship, follow IJAG. But for the post courtship time, I'd recommend that whether the father is in the picture or not, you do not just leap into "I'm your new father-mode". I look back and am so appreciative that my stepdad did not try to impose himself and his rules onto us, he just seemed to be a part of the family but left the disciplining and serious issues to my mom. Eventually, I came to respect him and his rules and I now consider him my true dad.

Good luck.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Patience is a key, too. You're dealing with her first and her problems, you and your stuff, and, if all goes well, the kids and their stuff. Plus the ex, and those complications.

There aren't any guarantees. I was with someone for nearly two years, lived together for one when (keeping a long story short) she decided to move out. She came by a year later to get a few knick-knacks that were still in the apartment, and also because her younger daughter had bugged her to visit me. Don't miss the woman. I still miss her kids, though.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fuck her. Fuck her brains out. Suck her tits, squeeze her buns. You know she wants it.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Simple -- just be patient and don't force yourself into the lives of the kids. If she doesn't want you to meet them for a while, accept that and just focus on dating her and seeing if you can make that go. But in doing that, understand that kids are a part of her life -- and will be a big part of your life if you choose to go deeper -- so you must think in those terms with all of the decisions you make.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Doc, you're a pig. :mad:

Go to your room!

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's from Animal House, mom. It's the scene where Lawrence has a devil and angel on each shoulder.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Then post it on the Animal House thread. :p

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I dated a woman with kids during one of my breaks with my recently stricken-from-my life, demon spawn, during which I was allowed to date others (this happened a few times).

I liked this woman, although there was no future. She had a wild streak that was a really good thing for my uptight personality. She had two boys, one was just pre-teen, the other in his early teens. I had fun with the kids. One was a bruiser and I worked with him on his football. As for the woman, I knew all along it wasn't going anywhere, but I still enjoyed seeing her. She was looking for a husband. She was a single mom who lived paycheck to paycheck and sometimes hit money problems. Her ex-husband wasn't a deadbeat, but he didn't help much. I think she was cool with the fact that I was not going to be he knight in shining armor who married her. I was honest about my intentions all along, without explicitly rubbing it in. After things had slowed down between us, I still kept in touch and saw her occasionally.

A few years ago, after we had really already moved on, she was really struggling for money and was frantic. We happened to talk. She sounded really down and frantic. She was going to cancel Christmas on her kids and it broke my heart. So I lent her a grand, which wasn't insignificant to me, so she could pay some bills and make sure the kids got gifts. That was really important to me. I didn't want two kids' Christmases to not be special, if I could help it (No, I didn't channel Alan Arkin in "The Slums of Beverly Hills": "Tell your kids 'I'm their father! I'm their father! I'm their father!' "). I did feel really good about myself as a result, though, and me and this woman have this bond because of it still, even though we've moved on in life. She paid me back as soon as she could, so whatever risk I took by giving someone that much money without any provisions was well worth it. Occasionally we'll check in by e-mail to see how each other is doing.

If you like the woman, just date her. Don't overthink it until you have to. Take things as they come and have fun. You never know where things might take you.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good for you, Ragu. I am surprised she paid you back, though.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Chance I was willing to take. One of her kids got a new bike, I know. I can't remember what the other gifts were. I don't have kids of my own, and I may never--although I REALLY want to. And I knew these kids. They have no idea where the money came from. I just wanted them to get to be kids and have that day of Christmas excitement, and I didn't want them to think their mom had let them down. If she hadn't paid me back, it would have hurt financially, but I would have lived with it. Only thing that might have kept her from paying me back was if money stayed too tight. Be she is proud and a hard worker and does miracles raising those kids and making ends meet. She also completed a master's degree since then and is doing much better -- same kind of work, but higher salary.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Well said Ragu. Too many rules and regulations have been posted here. Just enjoy your time together and see where it leads. Once you start overthinking that's when it will go downhill. If you feel pressured tell her or if you're not sure if you'd be OK having kids who like you who aren't yours in your life get out. Otherwise play it by ear instead of overanalyzing.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

IJAG nailed it and I echo everyone's sentiments. My sister and I were "the kids" after my parents divorced. My dad married three times, and my mom twice after they divorced each other.

The worse thing any divorced/widowed/single parent can do is to bring someone into the fold and have it backfire. When it came to my two stepdads, my sister and me looked at it in this light "that's not how dad would have done it, and we are not going to fall in line with what your family does, either.

When it came to my three stepmoms, they had the misfortunate of fighting for attention vs. my sister. Kid sister could whip all three of their asses. It was a pissing match for jealously and the three of them would rather have their kids bump the both of us out of the way.

The point is, if you rush a potential new partner into the mix, there will be plenty of resentment and hostility not only from the kids, but their relatives as well. My parents were guilty of trying to rush into a relationship out of complacement and to maintain a level of financial stability. Mom, thankfully learned that it was better for her sanity not to marry again, or even date. She would rather be a grandma to my niece than drive herself nuts again.

My old man will never learn. He divorced my mom when he was messing around (w/Stepmom #1); dumped #1 for #2, and then moved #2 into her own place while married to her, so he could move #3 into the house. It was a fucked up situation when I lived with him post-college.

My advice for single parents is this: take your time and do not rush when it comes to finding a partner. That partner must be willing to be considerate of your time and your life, and that person has to be willing to take on a role that, for most, have never ventured into.

You on the other hand, must not do it so that your kids can have a father (or mother) figure, or to maintain a financial level to keep what you have, or just to have someone there so that you don't feel like a loser. Don't be desperate to land someone. Take care of your kids, ask for help from family and friends when you need time for yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted