1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice for the entry-level job seekers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

When I was getting ready to apply for my first sport writing job, I heard there were more than 200 applicants.

My clips were solid, but I knew I had to find a way to set myself apart from 200-plus other people.

So I went to an art supply store and bought the largest freaking envelope I could find -- this enormous envelope used apparently to ship artwork and large-scale design stuff. I put the usual resume and clips in there, landed an interview, then another, and got the job.

At my second interview, when they made an offer, the managing editor told me that when they sat down to sift through all the resumes, they opened mine first because the envelope was so big it was sticking out in the pile of 200 envelopes and they were curious about it.

One other thing -- at my first interview, I noticed that both the sports editor and ME hadn't shaved and had a day or two of stubble. Is that unprofessional? Who knows -- these guys had won a ton of awards and it was a very good paper. So I didn't shave the day before my second interview. Wasn't shaggy but had a little scruff. I figured they'd be more comfortable around somebody who looked like them.

So I've always felt you can make all the rules you want about this stuff but common sense usually is a great guide.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Do you realize what you've done? Now all these rookies are going to go out and get the biggest envelopes they can find.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Somewhere, mailmen started crying for no reason.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i don't give a shit about envelopes and what kind of paper your resume is on. i'm going to glance at the resume and go to the clips. If I like what you've written, I'll go back to the resume and get more details.
    and I agree with sending paper instead of links. Works better for me.
    and, if it says don't call, don't call.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Don't try this at home, but ... In a do-not-call situation, I called what I presumed was voice-mail (hiring editor's day off) to leave a message about something or other. Well, the hiring editor was there, and we had an impromptu interview for about 20 minutes. Two months later, I got the job.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

I hope other editors take note. I understand why some toss a clips package in the trash, but at the same time, "no" doesn't always mean "no." Some editors are impressed by applicants who show initiative even if they're violating the "do not call" order. And if you're the type who automatically tosses a clips package, you might be disqualifying a terrific reporter for doing something that's a big part of the job _ making a call.

Then again, in this age, a candidate could just send an e-mail.

7. <i>Frantically tries to rip the coil binding off of my clips package as a pool of tears collects on the clear plastic cover</i>

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm the type of person who disqualifies an employee for not following directions. When I say "no calls, please" I mean it. When I say "e-mail your clips package, resume and cover letter," I mean it. Well, I'll look at a clips package that's mailed to me, but I'm ironclad on the "no calls, please" rule.

If someone snail mails me a clips package and it blows me away, you can bet I'm calling to schedule an interview.

9. awriter

awriter Active Member

What if that person calls first? Are you disqualifying him or her even though you were blown away by the clips?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Find another field.

Oh you weren't asking us to advice entry-level job seekers. My bad.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Only yesterday I bought $10,000 worth of stock in Giant Envelopes, Inc.

My wife said I was crazy. I put my fingers to my lips and said in a deep voice, "Just you shut your mouth." Now I'm a bajillionaire as well as a fan of David Bowie.

Stone Cane, the check is in the mail. In a giant fucking envelope.

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

As someone who graduated within the past year, I greatly appreciate the advice. The one thing that kind of surprised me a little bit was the "one gamer only part" in the initial post.

I understand that a package of clips need to show variety, but wouldn't having gamers from different sports (ie: a football gamer, basketball gamer and a soccer gamer) demonstrate an aptitude and ability to cover different sports? Or are all gamers basically considered the same, regardless of the sport?

Draft saved Draft deleted