1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advice for applying for a job ... help please

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

When applying for your second job out of college, who do you include as references?

I don't want my bosses to know I'm applying, but I don't have a ton of other people I could include on the list. If I didn't include my current bosses, I would have to include college professors and people that I haven't known for awhile.

I have basically decided I want to include my current bosses, but I don't want to tell them until I must and would like to not tell them until I at least had an interview.

Is it alright to include a note on my contact list asking those people not be contacted until we interviewed, or asking that I be contacted first so I can have warning?

Do people usually call references before interviews, or wait until afterward?

Is it stupid to include them as refereces in the first place?

I don't mind if they talk to my current bosses ... I do a good job, I just don't want them to know I'm looking.

Thanks for the help.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Perhaps you can use somebody who works at your current paper, doesn't supervise you, and could give a testimony to your abilities.

There is a good chance somebody might call your current supervisor anyway... people talk, so don't assume it won't happen. But there is no benefit to you if your current place finds out - if that happens, say you were encouraged to apply by somebody you knew on the staff and say as little as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted