1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advance Publications Beg-a-thon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've seen some of that sort of chirping on the Facebook group dedicated to our paper's demise. The "They're cutting it down to three days but keeping the subscription price the same!?" crowd.
    The guy who runs that page is also an advocate/attack dog for the shitty website that has sprung up as our primary local competition, which is a whole other annoyance. The website is taking shots at our business both on their own and through that Facebook page to try to poach advertisers from us.

Our publisher said they're trying to make people whole by extending their subscriptions. Like since they were supposed to get 20 papers this month then we'll give them an extra month free or something like that. FWIW, she said we'd only had a couple of cancellations as of yesterday, but this is still the first week we've cut back so the readers might not have realized it yet.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I wish more papers had a fee for article charge option. I'm not going to buy a subscription to a paper to like read one article about an NFL draft prospect (just an example) I see a link to on social media, but if they'd let me do it for 50 cents I'd happily pay.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

No offense @Batman but I think it is pretty shitty business and "the suits" think tripling the price while not improving the product rather probably cutting people etc. to make up for the people who will inevitably not purchase the paper will do it lol.

Also it is annoying the begging because the cheap subscriptions which continue to go down as the product continues to get worse....Save local journalism as we continue to cut journalists. Like my $5 or $10 subscription is going to make a difference when ads are bringing in the $$$ and no one is advertising in papers.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The suits can actually charge whatever they want for subscriptions now because the only people subscribing will never give up their morning paper. They are old people who can't live without it. No matter the cost they'll buy it. At the same time, NOBODY besides the 60-80 crowd will subscribe to a newspaper. Nobody. The suits took care of that years ago. Younger people know a ripoff when they see it. They don't need newspapers.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

All they need are TikTok, Instagram and Discord.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The only organization that has shit on, taken for granted and abused its most loyal supporters more than newspapers in the past 20 years is the Democratic Party.

Sports Barf likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The tripling of our price is being done in conjunction with an effort to beef up the paper a bit. Instead of 8-10 pages that we were normally having, we're now going for 12 or 14, maybe as many as 16 depending on the day.

8. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

The worst thing they could do is reveal how many new subscribers they actually have.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

11. adcs2

adcs2 Member

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I have mixed emotions in reporters helping out the suits in begging for subscriptions. Again, these are the people responsible for so many cruel decisions regarding friends/coworkers. And with the decimation of the product, it's easy to see why people don't want to subscribe to the local paper. In no way is it worth the price.

Draft saved Draft deleted