1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adrian Beltre: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he still has a decent chance.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But he didn't. And I'm not sure he really was better than Beltre. Both had injury issues. Rolen missed huge chunks of time and then broke down completely. Beltre often had stuff he played through, particularly shoulder issues that limited his power.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Beltre went to the Mariners in 2005. Maybe switching leagues was part of it. I thought that was also when he started having the shoulder problems that slowed him off and on for years, too, but I'm not sure.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Scott Rolen was better than Adrian Beltre. Adrian Beltre has had a better career than Scott Rolen.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And that's where the voters comes in. If you vote for Rolen, don't you have to vote for Beltre? And since Beltre is going to have the counting numbers superior to Rolen, I'd had to believe there are a majority of voters would vote for him after not voting for Rolen.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He may not get there in three years, but with essentially three years left on his contract to get him through age 37, if you were conservative and gave him exactly 100 hits for the next three years, he'd tie Chipper at 2,726 for fifth among third basemen.

And if he can average 141 in that span, he'd pass Brooks Robinson for fourth all time

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Rolen has about 5 seasons where you could pencil him in everyday to a lineup. Beltre has about 10.

If a player misses 30-40-50-60 games every season, I would hold that against them somewhat when you look at HOF.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Beltre and Michael Young are on virtually parallel career paths. Taking position and power out of the mix, Young is becoming a strong HOF candidate.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I don't think he can really hack it at 2B anymore. His defense has gone from marginal to horrible with age. His bat was very good for a middle infielder and might still be okay there, but his defense would be so bad that he would really be hurting whoever penciled him in there. He will probably get an offer of a bench job from someone and if guys get hurt or under perform and he has a bounce back season maybe he picks up 150 hits or so - but that is very much a best case scenario for him. It sure isn't going to happen four times to get him to 3,000 or even 2-3 times to get him close enough to limp the rest of the way.

He has had a nice career and if the Rangers have a team Hall of Fame he probably deserves to be in it. Cooperstown is way out of his reach now though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted