1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Addiction

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Forgive me this relative downer amid the frivolity on here, but I felt like sharing ...

A couple months back, I was diagnosed with an addiction and am currently in treatment for it. I share with y'all mainly because I am learning not to be so secretive about things, and to throw the topic out there for discussion.

There surely are folks among us dealing with addiction - whether it be chemical, liquid, pills or otherwise. How do you cope? How do you grow? What is your support system like?

Like I said, this is all new to me. Learning about myself in this context is incredibly painful. This might well be cathartic. I don't know.

RB

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

RB: Best of luck to you as you face this head on. I'm proud of you.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Addictions -- hard for people to understand and have empathy about if they've never been in the grip of one.

Harder still to beat.

Wishing you the best. Holler if you ever just need someone to listen who won't judge or condescend.

I'm pulling for you. Congratulations on the big steps you've already taken.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I would only suggest that you be aware that you are so much more than the addiction.

It's a day-to-day fight. And, if you should stumple a little, it doesn't mean that you have to fall.

You have an opportunity to learn more about yourself. That's better done with a clear mind.

Good luck.

Keep strong.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Addictions are terrible and consuming. It's a battle to hold on to any edge you can find against it. Just don't give up and use every avenue of support you can find. Best of wishes.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

rb, good luck with everything. and like jd said, if you ever need an ear, shoot me a PM.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

An understanding wife who would go to the mat for you.

Every day is going to be a trial. Understand that.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Just to echo, don't be afraid to reach out to family and friends. It is something you cannot do on your own. Good luck.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good luck, RB

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Good luck RB. And remember, getting and staying clean is possible.....millions have done it. It's by no means easy.....and I echo what other's have said, reach out to friends and family, go to meetings or find a strategy that works for you.

11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Sent you a PM RB, feel free to send me a line any time. I know the road and will be thinking of you.
    Stay strong

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Remember that you only have to win TODAY.

And PM me for any reason.

It will get better. It will get easier. You can do it.

(Go to AA).

Draft saved Draft deleted