1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Addiction to texting: Annoying teenage habit, or just a teenage thing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 6, 2007.

?

Teenagers who are inseperable from their cells and texting:

1. It's a bad habit, approaching rudeness

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Nothing wrong with it, you old man. It's just what kids do.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I wonder if spnited has "fuckin' dickhead" as a hot key.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You are welcome to start your own thread about adults. This thread was about teenagers.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I've seen parents get their 12-, 13-yr olds cell phones without texting. Very practical but in the minority, I guess.

Most kids -- rude, sure, and almost as brainless an activity as Twitter, but don't get me started.

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I voted: Nothing wrong with it old man ...
    But please add this: ... as long as adults set the rules that teens shouldn't be rude.

It's that easy. It's like asking your kid not to bring the GameBoy to the table.

And for the record, I text often - even while driving. And I sometimes use the 2 = to, 4 = four, etc. But on the whole, text speak is not cool.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

r prnts pwrlss 2 stp bd bhvr?

6. hoopswriter

hoopswriter Member

well clearly it's not the parents' fault. it's the school for introducing their kids to all these friends. or it's the sportswriter that can't spell names correctly. or it's the people on TV .. etc. Yes, the parents should set guidelines somehow, whether it's taking away the phone before bed or whatever works. I just can't wait to have teenagers

7. Not being a parent myself, my opinion is that it's just another one of those etiquette type things that now has to be taught to kids the same way you teach table manners. If I had a nickel for everytime I've grabbed the phone out of my step-sister's hand while I've been trying to talk to her, I'd be able to buy a Big Mac value meal. She learned that her friends can wait 10 minutes when I stop by.

And texting while driving is probably a bad idea, I know. But I've become pretty proficient at texting without having to look at the keys, so it's not so bad. But again, following the basic rules - not in bumper to bumper and not on unfamiliar roads - are ones I try to follow.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not sure if you are addressing myself or not. My daughter has unlimited texts on her phone but texts maybe 2-3 times a month. My kids aren't addicted to these electronic creatures.

Other parents don't seem to care much.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

No PoinD, not you. But there's plenty of evidence on this thread that t(w)eens aren't getting any sort of instruction on the finer points of good manners. I'm genuinely curious about how parents are being overwhelmed by all these technologies, and their children's unceasing use of them.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Sweat? Oh my goodness ... perish the thought!

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Teens don't have the market cornered on rudeness.

But Poin's insistence that we only talk about teens is a limit on our free speech. :)

12. Flash

Flash Guest

So how about you point out to them that when they're in your house ... yada yada yada ...

Draft saved Draft deleted