1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Addiction to texting: Annoying teenage habit, or just a teenage thing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 6, 2007.

?

Teenagers who are inseperable from their cells and texting:

1. It's a bad habit, approaching rudeness

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Nothing wrong with it, you old man. It's just what kids do.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I recently added the unlimited text messaging plan to my cell phone so I didn't get bent over the table every month. I don't text a lot, but enough to make it worthwhile.

Like others have said, it's usually to make plans, or make a quick comment to a friend on the other side of a loud, crowded bar ... I've also used it to joke with a buddy who's hitting on a chick at a bar. Tough to work in those jokes about her when she's around. Texting makes it happen.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

y? r u po'd?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I NEVER use textspeak. You is you, love is love, blah is blah.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I find texting to be more convenient than phone calls, at times.
    I constantly am texting score updates for games I am at and whatnot. I also like texting when you know the person is at work or somewhere where they can't talk, so you just send them a text.

I also used it heavily during the baseball season to keep my dad up to date on Yankees scores while he was in meetings.

Like IJAG, my friends and I use it and some days we use it a lot. But I have noticed a difference between my usage and high schoolers'. At sporting events if you watch the kids in the stands or whatever, that is pretty much all they do.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, I'm adamant on that one. If I'm going to send a text, then I'm taking the time to spell everything out.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Likewise. Textspeak goes against everything in which I believe.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

"Hey you know that girl that you were hitting on, let me tell you about her..."
    "Excuse me?"
    "Oh, hey, how are you doing?"

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The great thing about texting is that you could send the same message to a bunch of people at once.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The poll wasn't "do you text?". It was a poll about exactly what hoopswriter's cousin was doing.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm a hybrid textspeaker. You=u; to=2; for=4. And I'm not opposed to shortening long words by taking out vowels to save a couple seconds.

Edit: However, I won't do the "neways" type bullshit.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I got that. Which is why I was agreeing with you.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, the poll says:

Teenagers who are inseperable from their cells and texting:
    It's a bad habit, approaching rudeness
    Nothing wrong with it, you old man. It's just what kids do.

I'm saying I'm inseparable from my phone and texting. It was not specifically spelled out. Yes. I text sometimes during meals. Yes, I text while driving. Yes, I text at work. I left my house to go to the store and left my cell phone at home...I felt naked and confused. Seriously.

My argument is it's not a teen thing. That's all I've said.

Draft saved Draft deleted