1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Addiction to texting: Annoying teenage habit, or just a teenage thing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 6, 2007.

?

Teenagers who are inseperable from their cells and texting:

1. It's a bad habit, approaching rudeness

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Nothing wrong with it, you old man. It's just what kids do.

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Many of my daughters' (13 y/o) friends seem to be addicted to their cell phones and texting. When over at our house, talking to us parents, or doing something with their friends, they have one eye continually on the "text machine". Not once in a while, but pretty much all the time. Discreetly texting while doing whatever else they are doing.

I think it's just kind of rude. I've never said anything to my daughter's friends, b/c I don't think it's my place (except once at the dinner table). My daughter has text on her phone, but isn't attached to it like these girls.

Do you adults find this habit mildly rude/annoying? Or is this just further evidence I am growing old?

2. poindexter

Crap, this was supposed to go in anything goes. Sorry.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Personally, I find it pretty rude. I'm only 26, but to me it's just furthering the disconnect of the younger generation. I've sent exactly one (1) text message my entire life.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If it's discreet, how is it rude?

Would you consider it rude if they were getting called on their cell, then accepting those calls?

I mean, if I were talking to them directly and they were pounding away at their texting, I'd be pissed.

Otherwise, I think it's par for the course nowadays.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Which I see all too often.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I send roughly 10 texts a day. Some days it's 30. Some days it's 1.

Not a young person's thing.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

My friends and I use text all the time and we're in our 30s. It's an easy way to communicate. Gets the point across without a lot of detail -- kind of like writing for a tab. ;)
    It's usually just about where we're meeting and how to get there. I don't see much point in jabbering on in a telephone conversation, when we're going to be seeing each other face to face in less than a half hour.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I text (I'm 39), mainly because one of my friends is a texter and it's the easiest way to communicate with her. I don't ever text in the middle of a conversation, during meals, while driving or anything like that. I don't mind texting itself, but I wouldn't do it at any time that would be annoying/rude to others.

With teenagers, I think they need to be reminded about manners.

9. poindexter

Discreet should have been in "quotes". More like, they think they are being discreet. It's pretty much out in the open.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Should have picked up on that.

If they are doing it at the dinner table or something, that is disrespectful. Otherwise? I'm not so sure.

11. hoopswriter

hoopswriter Member

Have a 15-year-old cousin who comes to visit my family from time to time. Rather than enjoy the rare time of being with us, she's constantly texting to her boyfriend - in the middle of meals, trying to play a board game, etc. The latest time, she had the chime on so she could hear when a text message arrived, which just upped the annoyance factor. Teens definitely have a different frequency of texting. The 30 texts that IJAG sends in a day were sent in about a half hour of this girl's evening.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, I've definitely done more than 30, especially if I have four different convos going on at once.

But those are rarities.

Draft saved Draft deleted