1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Add this to the pile....cuts in Portland (Me.)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Hickling, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

http://t.co/LIdIpgGa

Not sure if this is the most recent Portland thread....but reallt sad to see Rachel Lenzi go. She modernized UMaine sports coverage on Twitter and with the blog and was really spot on 99.5 percent of the time. :(

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I read or heard or saw a number in the range of 60-something? Can that be right? How big is the place anyway? Wow.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Knew someone looking into the recent ME opening there. Considering the environment, I'm glad he didn't get it.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That sucks that Rachel is gone. About as good a hockey reporter and as good a person as you'd want to know.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Always had pleasant interactions with Rachel. Hope she lands on her feet.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

She will. She's good. I'd take her right now if I had a spot.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My best to Rachel. Haven't talked to her in far too long, obviously, as I found out about this on here. Terrible news.

9. nate41

nate41 Member

I'm pretty sure she took my spot at USCHO when I left. It's a part time gig, but a good way to get your hockey fix in.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Oh shit ...

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/151556/mainetoday-media-ceo-departure-clouded-by-speculation-confusion/

"Richard Connor, CEO of MaineToday Media (Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram, others) and Impressions Media (Wilkes-Barre, Pa., Times Leader and a number of weeklies) says he’s leaving because of the workload and in order to clear the deck for new leadership.

But a story published last week by Al Diamon of DownEast.com suggests some kind of financial shenanigans: Questionable expenses allocated between the two companies, most notably a trip to Italy that reportedly was set up to reward advertisers."

Draft saved Draft deleted