1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Boris doing better.

Thank God.

The poster boy for don’t fuck with this had been found.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought it best not to get too clinical.

OscarMadison and Scout like this.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The first day working from home, I actually put on a tie, mostly because I thought some people might find it funny. That whole week, I wore pants and a button down as I was working. Now I've got a decent shirt on, but I'm wearing shorts. Aside from a trip to the grocery store Saturday, I haven't even worn pants in about two weeks. :)

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean, I'm not wearing my pajamas or anything while working. But I'm generally dressing the way I would dress on the weekends, jeans or shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a hoodie if it's chilly. I haven't worn a button down or anything with a collar in weeks.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Completed that for ya.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

This whole thing has certainly cut down on ironing.
    We did a faculty meeting the first week. Everyone was commenting how how folks were dressed.
    I said, "I think it's funny y'all assume I'm wearing pants."

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

About a month ago, I was looking at getting some new khakis, because my current ones are getting a bit threadbare. Yesterday, I ordered a couple more pairs of soccer shorts to wear around the house (and below Zoom camera angle).

Driftwood likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You may wish to tweak your backgrounds as well.

Caribbean Zoom Virtual Backgrounds Make Boring Meetings Better

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yesterday, a friend emailed asking if I was going to get outside, take the dog to the park across the street. I answered that I wasn't sure, it was raining off and on. If I go, I would have to put on shoes and find a jacket.

Today, I am feeling excited because I will get out of the house. I have a doctor appointment (orthopedic, not internal). I called to see if they were seeing patients. They said if I have no virus symptoms and I haven't been the China in the past week, I could come in. Happy about that, but the last time I drove anywhere was last week and I felt weird being in the car wearing gloves and a mask.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I think everyone is compartmentalizing this stuff to some extent. You almost have to, or else you really will become overwhelmed, or lose all perspective.

There's no doubt this has been a stressor for people, and everyone, by now, is getting at least a little tired of it, even if they have, probably secretly, welcomed being off work, or doing less work, or getting away from people, etc. for at least a little while. People can't live with constant, real stress (not the kind of that is manufactured or imagined), all the time, and one response is to compartmentalize it.

I know I've taken the tack of, to be honest, intentionally ignoring some of it. Not to the point of acting dangerously -- I'm trying to do my part by wearing a mask and gloves at work, and trying to keep my distance from people (haven't properly greeted even family members in over a month), etc. But I also just don't listen to TV reports on it all day; I don't talk about it all day, etc. In other words, I'm doing my best not to zoom in on it too much, or worry about every door I touch, or every time I don't have a Lysol wipe in my hand, or every breath I take, or whether I'm going to be the one responsible for infecting my 88-year-old mom who has COPD and heart issues.

If I didn't try to do all this this some extent, I really would go crazy with paranoia, or become overwhelmed/emotional to the point of breakdown.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted