1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So after a month of unemployment (thanks Covid!), I'm heading back to work tomorrow. It's not the old gig, but at a locally-owned outdoors gear shop. I wrote a couple of BLOG! posts for them on spec. The owner liked them and offered me a part-time job. I'll work on their website half the time and on the store floor the rest (which means my chances of catching Covid will increase).

The pay is shit, but it will cover our groceries each week. More importantly, it gives me something to get my mind occupied and prevent me from spending hours looking at the exact same career ads on LinkedIn, Indeed, SimplyHired and GlassDoor.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Best of luck, I_W

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Good luck, Inky. Doesn't sound terrible.

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Good news Inky. Will do you good to get away. Was pm'ing with a friend last night how odd it was going from dealing with the virus at work to seeing all this shit on TV.

Inky_Wretch and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great to hear.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks y'all.

Side note: If I had the resources, I think there's prime opportunity to make a really good jobs site. I'm damn tired of typing in "digital marketing" and getting served openings to be a long-haul truck driver. Or putting in "public relations" and getting openings for car hops at Sonic. I know it's all automated, but they ought to be able to algorithm it so that doesn't happen.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. It sucks.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Mazel tov and I'm sorry.

I wish everyone could see their new family members.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Glad to hear some positive news, Inky. Hopefully, you will find something you like better soon.

The separation from people really is frustrating. My wife was talking to my sister-in-law about it a few days ago. This is my younger brother's wife who just had a baby in April. Even her family, which all live in the area, haven't met the baby in person yet. Part of that is the baby had some difficulty with her lungs and spent some time in the NICU before they went home. It is mostly just the four of them (They also have a two-year-old.) I can't imagine having to isolate at a time like that. We are hoping to go see them as soon as they feel comfortable with visitors. We could use a little life to celebrate.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The bars are open in Florida. This is my first beer since March 15. Stay safe, everyone!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted