1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam LaRoche and his son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, would be interesting to see what would have happened if this was Jose Abreu's kid.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What else could they do? He was terrible last year, and the money's already committed.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If LaRoche wants his son to be around 100 percent of the time, well, he now has the perfect opportunity to do that as an unemployed person.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Give him his release. It's their fault they committed the money, not his. But they got what they wanted in the end. He's gone, the money is saved.

Chicago, where ex-Nats first basemen go to die. Didn't the Sox sign Dunn to a monster deal, too, after he had two good years in DC?

exmediahack likes this.
  5. Moderator1

My overall point: Williams talked about a commitment to winning, which they should have. LaRoche and his declining skills being in the clubhouse were a bigger detriment to that than the kid being in the clubhouse.

6. Dick Whitman

The contract is guaranteed. They can't just jettison it off the books.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But if he retires voluntarily, he forfeits the money.

8. Moderator1

Right, if they release him they have to pay him. But if he quits? They don't

9. Dick Whitman

They did, but Dunn was one of the most consistent hitters in baseball for eight or nine years before they signed him to that deal.

I think some guys just can't DH. It's a big wild card in these N.L.-to-A.L. signings.

The thing is that Abreu isn't a very good defensive first baseman, but LaRoche is.

10. Dick Whitman

Right, right. I was responding to the "reduced role" post, i.e. I thought you had implied that since they are paying him $13 million, they shouldn't reduce his role.

11. Moderator1

No, not at all. He'd become a $13 million bench player so they needed to swallow hard and eat the money. I think it is dirty pool to use his kid to force him to quit, which is what I think happened

12. Dick Whitman

But he still would have been a valuable bench player. Even at $13 million, if they thought he was better as a left-handed bat off the bench than what they could replace him with from the minors or the waiver wire or via trade, then there's no reason to release him.

And I don't know that they did this to force him into retirement. If that were the case, they should have done it months ago, when there was still an active free agent market.

Draft saved Draft deleted