1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam Greenberg to get second plate appearance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 27, 2012.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hated the kid? No

I'll say "mixed emotions" on the specific example. For one thing, HS sports are there for educational purposes, despite being competitive. For another, from what I remember, the kid hit the shots in the flow of actual play. Nobody handed them to him. There were defenders in the general area. It's not quite on the same level as the college woman who hobbled out onto the court and was handed a free layup, which bothered me quite a bit. If he was good enough to hit six three-pointers, he had to have been good enough to soak up garbage time, so it wasn't a total handout.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

So this nobody can get into an MLB game but the Rocket can't get called up?

3. Moonlight_Graham

Moonlight_Graham New Member

I, for one, am in favor.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

RickStain picketed outside that movie.

5. RickStain

That movie annoys me because it convinced a lifetime of casual fans that Jackson was innocent.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah, if you had gone 1-for-2 nobody would ever remember you for having a "Moonlight Graham career."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Rocket couldn't pass the drug test.

And great Moonlight Graham reference! Was waiting for that.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Greenberg earned his way to the bigs when the Cubs were trying to win (we'll stipulate what Rick means by "the Cubs trying" to save time) and then he had that opportunity cut brutally short by an freak occurrence. If you've "earned" you way to the show, and earned an at bat, you'd like to think all that "earning" would probably warrant seeing three pitches at least. Whatever bar you're insisting he clear, he already cleared it, and de los Santos accidentally robbed him of the real "reward" part for all that earning. He's not being given a permanant job here. It's a gesture, by the team that played a roll in cutting that opportunity short (by any rational standard if not literal standard).

It really is a stuffy sentiment to be annoyed by this. It's not like he's underdeserving to enter the church of baseball.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Yes but I ask who cares about Greenburg? Clemens is a legendary pitcher and was apparently blacklisted by MLB.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or he's a former PED user who can't pitch at a major league level anymore.

Nah, couldn't be that...

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

It has never been proven that he used and you are forgetting that Clemens continued to dominate even after testing took effect.

12. RickStain

He's undeserving to enter the Church of Baseball in 2012. He's going to be getting playing time today that he didn't earn. He's getting it out of pity for a bad break, and because he let people whine for him and whined himself until someone noticed.

Draft saved Draft deleted