1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ad Exec Suicide Linked to Anonymous Blog--could this happen here?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Great Freudian slip.

In this case, of course, concerning W, actions speak louder.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Frank--not going to get into a personal battle with you over who has the right to make comments on this board. I have no problem with anyone commenting on an actual piece of writing. I do have a problem with people adding that the writer or editor is a scumbag or douche or bitch or bad person. Just my opinion.

With regard to the DDB story, I guess the Creative Director of a major agency is the equivalent of a big-name columnist, at least within the industry. I would agree that something else probably contributed to pushing him to the brink.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Cut the shit. The whole point of the story that was posted was people being attacked on places where their peers meet online.

You're just looking for a way to rationalize your behavior, attacking people you've never known. There is no rationalization that works. Sorry.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Frank you are the talking out of your ass now. How well do you know George Bush? You seem happy to attack him.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'll type this slowly for you. This, to my knowledge, is not a message board for political insiders, so I doubt very much GWB cares what's written here. He is not being taken to task in a relatively small forum composed almost exclusively of people he works with and competes against. Also, the president's public behavior and policy issues are open to observation. To my knowledge, no one here has accused Bush of being sexist in his dealings with White House staff or mean to Democrats when they pass each other in the hall.
    Would the dead advertising guy have cared if someone were ripping him on a message board for sports journalists? I don't think so.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that anyone would kill themselves over what was posted on that site.

From reading about the company, it sounds like many of Paul Tilley's projects weren't working. Also, one article says his father died in a fire last June and "Coworkers knew Mr. Tilley was crushed by the tragedy."

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's why you shouldn't be an irresponsible blathering idiot, even though message boards give you the anonymous comfort that makes it do-able.

We're no better than the people we routinely complain about.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ok here is a better example. On the Bucklely RIP thread look at what one poster wrote:

Did the poster know Buckley or was he basing his thoughts on how Buckley sounded?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You know, everyone's such a know-it-all around here and pretty cynical to boot, to answer the question in the title, no, I very much doubt it.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You know what, GB, common sense would suggest that you're correct....but then it would also stand to reason that people could also have discussions that don't immediately devolve into manic rage and personal attacks, so clearly folks care quite a bit about what gets posted here.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

left hand hijacking the right... interesting

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think people care, but at the same time when those types of discussions occur will often think, 'Oh, it's only X. He/She is always like that,' and let it go pretty easily once it's done.

Draft saved Draft deleted