1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actors who you're surprised aren't more famous

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 3, 2010.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Guys like Mark Ruffalo and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are underrated, but still have plenty of time to become major Hollywood players.

That's the cool thing about acting, sometimes the right role comes along and -- boom -- you're in demand. No matter the age. To wit: Bryan Cranston, Richard Jenkins, etc.

And what is "famous." Christian Bale is far more "famous" than, say, Ryan Gosling, but the latter has a Oscar nomination and the former somehow doesn't.

My pick would be Patrick Wilson. The guy was superb in 'Little Children,' was in 'Watchmen,' 'Hard Candy,' and the recent 'Morning Glory.'

I want to see him in a really meaty role; maybe something by an auteur director like Darren Aronofsky, Spike Jonze or the Coen Brothers, that vein.

And apropos of nothing, I want to see Denzel Washington in a Farrelly Brothers movie. Just think he would knock it out of the park.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I could not possibly disagree with this more.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That cast of Two Guys, a girl and a pizza place has done quite well for themselves...

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

How can you think Ryan Gosling is more famous than Christian Bale? The Batman movies alone put Bale into a stratosphere of celebrity well beyond Gosling. This is not a slight on either actor's talent; both are among the best of their generation.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Never seen Castle. But Firefly convinced me that he could have been a Harrison Ford-esq leading man. He does lovable rogue really well. He's funny, he's cool, he's tough, but still likable.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And on top of that, missing "r" fail.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I agree on this. However, a friend of mine watched a couple episodes of Firefly and was turned off because she felt his acting was very wooden. Maybe some of the people who make movies felt the same way. Hard to say.

8. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Edward Burns. I enjoyed his roles in Brothers McMullen, that one movie with Jennifer Aniston and Cameron Diaz (name escapes me now .. She's the One?) and Saving Private Ryan. Sidewalks of New York is another favorite. I was channel surfing the other day and saw him in some movie on the SyFy Network. Actually, I thought that was rather cool. I'm sure the guy isn't hurting for work - just doing what he wants to do. I'm straight (I know ... the obligatory 'I'm straight, but' nonsense ...) but quick to admit he's easy on the eyes. I always figured he'd be a really big name in Hollywood by now.

9. Quakes

Quakes Guest

He's married to Christy Turlington. That'd be enough for me.

10. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Good point, Quakes. Don't feel sorry for the guy, trust me.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Damn "Smoke Jumpers" director just ruined him...ruined him I say!

We should have this in blue font...right?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Again, depends on "famous." Kim Kardashian is more famous than most anyone else around right now. Doesn't make her a better actor.

If you said "Who played Batman?" I couldn't tell you. But I could tell you who Ryan Gosling is dating, has dated, what he's been in, etc. I don't see Christian Bale on talk shows, in magazines, out on the town. He's not discussed. So is he a great actor? Quite possibly, though all I've ever seen him in was the Heath Ledger Batman, and I spent the entire movie wondering how someone so horrid and wooden and with such a shitty voice could POSSIBLY play Batman.

Draft saved Draft deleted