1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actors who you're surprised aren't more famous

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was reading a review of Black Swan and seeing Winona Ryder's name there made me think that based on her early career that I'm surprised she never really became the huge star that most people thought she would be in the early 1990s. Obviously, her shoplifting sprees played a big role in that.

Michael Biehn was another one. After Aliens and Terminator, I was sure he was going to be the next big action star. I think (the underrated) K2 was the last movie I saw him as the star and I was in high school when that came out.

Who else?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Maybe Sarah Michelle Gellar.

She was Buffy in the 90s and a bunch of movies then. Now she does voices for Robot Chicken. I haven't seen her in anything in years.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think she stopped acting for awhile to have kids. Not totally sure. I haven't seen her in much since the Scooby Doo movies.

Good call....

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

would Don Cheadle count? I think people know who he is in some regards, but he isn't a flashy kind of star. But a hell of an actor.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

After seeing "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story," I thought Jason Scott Lee had a chance to become a big action star. He's an excellent actor, better than 98 percent of action stars, and had the physical skills to back it up. I liked him in "The Jungle Book" as well. Now he's doing guest spots on "Hawaii Five-O."

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Men: Lou Diamond Phillips
    Women: Leelee Sobieski

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

John Goodman

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I had to look up one of her movie's because I couldn't think of her name, but Shannyn Sossamon from 40 Days and 40 Nights, A Knight's Tale and the Rules of Attraction. Couldn't tell you if she has done much lately.

I think he's done well on TV, but on the male side, Rory Corchrane from Dazed and Confused and Empire Records.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Robert De Niro

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Julia Stiles

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Rock Harders.

Or, more seriously, Dominique Swain

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What does "more famous" mean? Does it mean "at celebrity status" or "working regularly"?

Draft saved Draft deleted