1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actors who get a lot of work

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To me, a character actor is someone who plays smaller -- but similar -- parts. Someone like Harry Dean Stanton or Peter Lorre.

Simmons seems to have more range, though he does get to be a cop a lot.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

On Oz he made me never, ever, under any circumstances, want to have to go to prison.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

[​IMG]

Leland Orser, otherwise known as the guy that Kevin Spacey made fuck the prostitute in Seven. They guy has been in everything from Saving Private Ryan, to Pearl Harbor to a several-season run on ER.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Zoe Saldana seems to be in every movie now.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Leland Orser is in the Kevin Pollack, Matt Craven division. I'm sure there are actors that always seem to be "competing" for roles against each other.

If I was an actor, I'd strive for a career like Charles Durning, Ned Beatty or even Robert Duval (though more of a leading man - that guy has had a fascinating career - Godfather, Mash, Apocolypse Now).
    They always seem to turn up in something every week.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

(Uh... did Dan really just say he wanted to be like Ned Beatty? Tee-hee-hee!)

SQUEEEEEEEEEL LIKE A PIG, DAN!
    ;D ;D ;D

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The older guy in the Black Coffee in Bed video seemed to be in every other video during the early years of MTV.

Anyhoo, Jenna Jameson.[/heyabbott]

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

To me a character actor has nothing to do with the size of the roles but more the nature of the parts. As for range, he's definitely got that. He was in the Broadway revival of "Guys and Dolls" and kills in 'Brush up your Shakespeare'.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Was your senior thesis on the Caine/Hackman Theory? {/PCU reference}

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I find it particularly sad that for all the great work Hackman did in his career, his last film was "Welcome to Mooseport."

Apparently, Michael Madsen works a ton. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000514/

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Brian Doyle-Murray seems to show up in a lot of stuff, both as actor and as voice.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0236519/

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He does a lot of voice work. I was really surprised when I found out that he does the voice for Mr. Crab, which is so far from his normal voice. He has provided the voice of Lex Luthor in cartoons and video games off and on for about 50 years and does a hell of a job of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted