1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Actors/Actresses who get a bad rap

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Inspired by the thread about thespians who get on peoples' nerves. Who do you think is OK, even though the general public thinks they suck?

I've long thought people are overly hard on Keanu Reeves and Ben Affleck. Sure Keanu plays the same character the majority of the time, but to say he can't act isn't really fair. He was downright scary in The Gift and Parenthood was a nice variation of his stoner dude character.

Affleck's biggest problem is he's chosen to play some horrible parts and do some horrible movies. He's got talent. In Gone Baby Gone and Good Will Hunting he proved to be a triple threat -- actor, writer and director. He's acted well in Good Will Hunting, Hollywoodland, Sum of All Fears and Dazed and Confused to name a few.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Soon to be followed by actors/actresses nobody gives a fuck about.

This is getting as bad as the now-banned best song threads.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jeebus, spnited. Can't you just let the thread die already?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would say Meg Ryan. Often considered a ditz, but did good work in DOA and Courage Under Fire.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Costner sometimes gets a bad rap, and while he's far from my favorite, you can't overlook some of the movies he's been in.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But you can damn well try.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Kidman gets a bad rap? Or do you mean back when they were together?

9. sportschick

Have you read the other thread? Half the people picked her as not being able to act.

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Nope. Can't say I read it. I can't understand why they'd feel that way; I think she's a fine actress.

11. sportschick

And I'm in agreement with you there. A fine actress, capable of great work on occasion.

12. KG

KG Active Member

Really? I've never heard anyone refer to her as a ditz. I do like her.

Draft saved Draft deleted