1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Active shooter at UCLA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What is it about the reporting of this story that you are taking issue with? Does the academic dispute with the professor really not ring true to you? He wrote a blog post accusing the professor of stealing his computer code. This doesn't seem like a whitewash to me.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I doubt it's even part of the story. He strikes me as having been severely ill. Mental illness is a tragic, tragic thing.

We had a female doctoral student (Chinese) lose it a few years ago. She got it in her head there was a clique of professors working to boot her from the program, seeing as how her comprehensive exam results had been slow in coming (she'd actually passed). So she tried to go in and see the dean to complain, and when the secretary wouldn't let her in she physically attacked the secretary. She had been a good student, but she'd also been odd. This was the first time, however, that it was clear she was mentally ill. Fortunately she didn't do much damage. She was institutionalized for a brief time, as they processed her paperwork for the trip back to China. As I understand it her parents met her and the institution's security team at the airport, where she was quickly strapped in for the flight home.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Certainly possible, but at 38, he's a little old for the kind of schizophrenic break we've seen in other, otherwise bright, young, college students.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm sure the professor upset him. So did the female in Minnesota.

But why did he resort to violence?

What were his influences?

Did he play first person shooter video games? Listen to violent music?

5. Dick Whitman

I'm sure that's what you're getting at. Those things.

Again: What is it about the reporting that you are taking issue with? How would you propose they write this?

"It is also notable that the shooter has a Muslim-sounding name. Sometimes, such people kill other people due to religion."

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Is this a long con going back to the North Carolina shooting where the shoe was on the other foot and a white person killed a Muslim woman? Is there another white person I'm forgetting about who has been aggrieved under similar circumstances? Let's get to the point.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Whatever it is, YF just wants us to know he is concerned.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sure. But other bright, young college students tend to be, you know, young. It's a numbers thing.

We don't know the whole story. He could have had his illness under control with medication and then stopped taking it. I have a very close friend from my youth whose family is basically being held hostage by his older child's mental illness. She gets on her medication, things get better, they breathe a sigh of relief ... then just when they think things are going well, she quits taking her medication. He went to get her at college a couple of weeks ago, and the moment he saw her he knew she was off her medication. He didn't even take her home; he drover her straight to the institution to get her back on track.

I'm not saying the guy didn't do this for some religiously or culturally inspired reason. I'm just saying it seems far more likely to me that he was just a terribly disturbed young (to me) man.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think it was the math. Engineers have to learn a lot of math.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Somewhere, Billy Madison is really glad he called that guy.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

However, mid 30s-early 40s is also when mood swings with mental health get more egregious.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

YF is going to swoop down and bring pot into this. It's what he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted