1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Active shooter at UCLA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Jun 1, 2016.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's quite obvious today's shooter was deterred by the campus-wide ban on weapons.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure UCLA prof had it coming due to handing out a string of bad grades.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why is everyone looking at me?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I doubt that was part of his thought process, assuming he even had a thought process.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He was costing them postgraduate scholarships!

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sad this professor had to die. Seems fated the student would have died eventually in some asshole manner. Shooting someone over a grade? Yeah, your priorities are in fucking order.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm kind of surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. College can be a pressure cooker for these high achievers, especially in a time in which a "B" is seen as an abject failure.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do we know the motive yet? Has someone claimed it was over a grade?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Once, in one of my nighttime MBA classes, I had an Indian student come to me after a class. It was late, the floor my office is on was empty, etc., etc., so it was kinda creepy. The student wanted to talk to me about the exam from the previous week. He then proceeded to tell me about this prophylactic treatment for tuberculosis he was being required to undergo. I was thinking, "OK, what does this have to do with last week's test?" Well, per him one of the side effects of the treatment was that he sometimes "heard voices," and during the exam that had been the case. Part of me chuckled and thought, "Well, these voices, they don't appear to know shit about so-and-so." But a much larger part said, "Hmmmm, let's get this young man the hell out of my office." Thus began my ritual of NEVER: A) going to my office immediately after the end of a night class; or B) being around my office more than the absolute minimum during finals week(s).

HanSenSE and RickStain like this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No one is responsible for what others claim.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is the guy ... wrote an angry blog post about the professor.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the police said that it appeared to be the motive, yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted