1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Active shooter at Delta State University - 1 confirmed dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Your joke went jussst a little outside.

Gator likes this.
  2. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Ironic that college professors, the core of American liberal thought, are shooting guns.
    This thing kind of reminds me of "Back to School" when Dangerfield stole Dr. Barbay's babe.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

For accuracy's sake, the suspect's Facebook page indicates he's a fan of Paul Ryan, Fox News, Romney and the Tea Party Patriots.

But go ahead and tell me more about the guy being part of "the core of American liberal thought."

Stoney, JC and Riptide like this.
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Suspect is now reported dead. Shot himself after a chase. No other details.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

My best friend's wife is a professor there. Her room is across the hall from the victim, so she was there teaching when it happened. She's not hurt, but shaken up. My budy is a mercenary. He works security in the Middle East, kind of like Blackwater. First plane he can catch is this weekend. From what he heard from her, it was a love triangle gone bad.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

"Wait, you mean this was a standard run of the mill love triangle situation and not some mentally ill wacko unloading on an innocent crowd and thus we can't really demagogue about gun control? Well, shit, then who cares...." - left wing media types......

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I had a colleague at another institution who was stereotypically professor-ish in lots of ways, except he was a full-tilt gun freak. He spent a bit of time on the faculty at San Diego State -- where he fit in not one iota -- and said that once he had a student raising hell about some test grade. "This makes me so mad, I could shoot someone!" the student said. To which my colleague calmly replied, "You probably should keep in mind you're talking to one of the most heavily-armed professors in all of academia." The kid looked around the office, saw pictures of this guy shooting this pistol at that range and that rifle at this range ... and got really quiet really quick.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but why would the love triangle take the gun issue off the table? That makes no sense to me. These murders weren't perpetrated with pitchforks. Our gun laws still made it far easier for this guy to kill. And fact is these type killings still happen far more often here than the rest of the industrialized first world ...and the reason for that ain't because we have more love triangles.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, but these kinds of killings happen daily and can't really be sensationalized. Watch ID channel or CI channel all day any day and you see these kinds of things all the time and often with knifes, baseball bats, strangulation, poison -- so the ability to sensationalize the gun's role in the killing is far less. That's why Barry and company only choose to speak about the most sensational of gun tragedies as opposed to the boatload of daily shootings in his home town of Chicago.....

Bottom line is this - people who blame guns for murders are the same people who blame alcohol for drunk driving accidents and sites like Ashley Madison for people cheating on their spouses.

We have a people problem in this country, not a gun problem.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

It appears that the love triangle motivation isn't true. There has been no evidence presented that the two victims even knew each other. Apparently, Lamb and Prentiss had been living together in Gautier, and he snapped for some reason -- perhaps she had been cheating, just not with Schmidt -- then decided to go all in and kill Schmidt, who he believed had been the key factor in him not getting a position at Delta State. As someone else said, it's about a 5 hour drive from Gautier to Cleveland, so he had plenty of time to stew over/think about what he'd done and what he was going to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted