1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Active shooter at Columbia, MD, mall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There is a McD's at the food court within 150 feet of where the mall shooting went down.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd also add that, once homicides become commonplace like that, it's not uncommon to look at factors that could be causing it. Factors like poverty, education, systemic discrimination, mental illness, (gasp!) access to guns,etc.

Nope, never seen the media do any of those stories. Nosirree.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Chicago Tribune is just a local paper. Thanks for clearing that up for me. What day of the week does their paper run?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Is the Trib a national paper? Does it even aspire to be a national paper?

This was a local story, covered by a local paper.

If this was more than a local story, show me what paper outside the area covered it.

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

No wonder everyone distrusts the media. It simultaneously pursues a leftist political agenda of restricting firearms and not valuing the lives of minority murder victims, which is hardly textbook liberalism.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://usconservatives.about.com/od/capitalpunishment/a/Putting-Gun-Death-Statistics-In-Perspective.htm

The above link says there are about 11,000 gun homicides a year. Just to help some with the math, that's about 30 a day. Maybe someone can now look up the definition of news?

Draft saved Draft deleted