1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Act Like a Lady"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 21, 2010.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? You run around here bossing people around about no politics, and then drop c-bombs and expect it not to get deleted.

You're an utter joke.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Enough about what Bachmann should have said to Specter, the question is, what should Specter have said to Bachmann?

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

He should have said "Excuse me, it's my turn" and left it at that.

4. old_tony

Not true. He adds the "things an adult wouldn't say" portion of the debate.

5. old_tony

When you're right, you're right. Or would you prefer "correct"? :D

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Either works.. :D

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Thank you, I have really little idea who either of these people are, although from reading this thread it is obvious their political leanings.

When did calling someone a lady become derogatory language? Are we really getting that sensitive now?
    He didn't tell her to go to the kitchen or anything along those lines. Shit she was the one being rude and showing little respect during the course of the interview. He was basically trying to get a word in edge wise. Shit I grew up with the phrase "treat her like a lady" meaning treat her with respect, and by the sounds of it so did he. He could have said far worse things, and I really wouldn't have blamed him. hell if he had said "Listen Woman" I could even understand the flack he is taking now, but lady? give me a break.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"I swear to God I'll take this fucking ball microphone and shove it down your fucking throat! Do you hear me? I swear to God. You better be glad; you better be fucking glad that I'm not. I swear."

That's why the lady is a tramp

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From Gail Collins today:

"Meanwhile, on a radio show in Pennsylvania, Senator Arlen Specter lost it completely and told Representative Michele Bachmann, the irrepressible heroine of the Tea Party movement, to “act like a lady.”

Specter, you will remember, switched parties last year. Democrats must be asking themselves why they wanted him. Oh, yes, the 60th vote. Well, that’s all over. The good news is that Joseph Lieberman is only about one-tenth as important as he was on Monday. The bad news is the remaining 59 includes a self-important 79-year-old who makes wildly patronizing remarks about his female opponent during a radio debate.

To be fair, Bachmann does have a terrific talent for driving people nuts. When you ask a person what legislation she’s supported and the answer is “prosperity,” you can assume this is not going to be a day for meaningful dialogue.

“Prosperity wasn’t a bill,” snapped Specter.

“Then why don’t we make it one?” Bachmann responded, in a tone of extreme reason.

Sputtering, Specter said: “I’ll treat you like a lady. So act like one.” Not once, but twice.

This is about as inept as you can get. When Bachmann started lecturing him about how Americans want less government, the correct response was: “Yeah, unless it’s $250,000 in subsidies for the Bachmann family farm.” Instead, Specter kept complaining and calling for ladylike deportment until the host mercifully intervened and ended the show.

He has to run for re-election this year. If the Democrats are looking for a wake-up call from Massachusetts, the big rooster in the room is the plethora of underwhelming candidates they are fielding."

Draft saved Draft deleted