1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Across the Universe.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hammer Pants, Oct 15, 2007.

1. There is no substitute for The Beatles, but the soundtrack is still freakin' great.

There are a few I haven't seen yet, but it's the best of the year, with Once coming in at a close second.

Loved Bono.

2. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

I really enjoyed it. Alot more than I thought I would. I may see it again.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I enjoyed it, although I thought there was a dead spot in the middle when Max just kinda disappeared. Some of the freak-out stuff was just, uh, too freaked out, but it was worth wading through to get to the next good bit. I enjoyed the different interpretations of songs, many of which made me hear the lyrics in ways I never had before, but I thought the "Let's slow it down a half beat" well was dipped into a bit too frequently.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The wife and I haven't agreed on anything since "I do". And I'm not sure she understood that one completely. :p

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It turned up in our little town for a Monday-through-Thursday run.

There were four of us in the theater for the 7:30 p.m. Tuesday show.

We loved it, but it's certainly hard to classify. Very, very clever in its use of the source material, though. And great, great performances throughout ... although I wasn't that crazy about Bono's Dr. Robert, Eddie Izzard's Mr. Kite bit was fantastic.

And it did, indeed, seem to have a bit of a dead spot in the middle.

My bigger quibble is that Tamor didn't really find anything new or original in the Vietnam stuff, especially after starting with such promise with the draft screening and "She's So Heavy" imagery. Seems like I've seen all of that before, in movies as widely scattered as Hair or even Rushmore.

Still, one breast, decent tongue-fu and Joe Bob says check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted