1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Achtung!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 12, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Had no idea that Tor meant goal.

The only reason I remembered that it was gate or door was because of the Brandenburg gate was the Brandburger Tor.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My HS German teacher was also the soccer coach.

I think "Tor" was one of the first German words I learned outside of "Hogan's Heroes."

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Next beer in New Ulm is on me... ;)

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

And I'll hold you to that. :D

5. Who're you calling a dick?

[​IMG]

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

And I think the "1." is the German format for ordinal numbers. So it might be "First goal scored with penis shot." Quite a milestone, I'm sure.

7. Junk --
    Here's Mr. Clemens on German nouns:

In German, all the Nouns begin with a capital letter. Now that is a good idea; and a good idea, in this language, is necessarily conspicuous from its lonesomeness. I consider this capitalizing of nouns a good idea, because by reason of it you are almost always able to tell a noun the minute you see it. You fall into error occasionally, because you mistake the name of a person for the name of a thing, and waste a good deal of time trying to dig a meaning out of it. German names almost always do mean something, and this helps to deceive the student. I translated a passage one day, which said that "the infuriated tigress broke loose and utterly ate up the unfortunate fir forest" (Tannenwald). When I was girding up my loins to doubt this, I found out that Tannenwald in this instance was a man's name.
    Every noun has a gender, and there is no sense or system in the distribution; so the gender of each must be learned separately and by heart. There is no other way. To do this one has to have a memory like a memorandum-book. In German, a young lady has no sex, while a turnip has. Think what overwrought reverence that shows for the turnip, and what callous disrespect for the girl."

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

i think it depends on the size...

9. Size doesn't matter, dammit!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was great.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Tor is one of the only German words I know. Used to have a FIFA game for N64, and you could play with the announcers doing the game in English, German or Spanish. I remember the TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRR call for goals. I couldn't figure out where the bathroom is or order any food in German, but I could call a soccer game, damnit!!

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think, loosely translated it's:

"I wouldn't hit it."

Draft saved Draft deleted