1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Accused cop-killer strangled in jail

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 1, 2008.

1. At least you're consistent in your fascism.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

According to the story, no other inmates had any access to him at all. Just cops and jailers and the like.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I wish due process had been allowed to take its course.

The evidence suggests that there's a chance from what we know that this guy's blood is on some cop's hands. That's fucking wrong no matter what the guy did.

If he did kill that cop, he'll pay for it in the afterlife. However, we should never be happy about vigilante justice.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its all good fun until you need the protections of the Bill of Rights.

I am appalled at the vigilantism condoned. Yes we all get emotional when someone is killed, but before that act ever occurred, we as a society decided to grant everyone the right of due process of the law.

Legal rights are for everyone, not just those who believe that the hand of the accused will never touch them.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, and maybe I missed it, but where's the part in the story that says a guard (or guards) undeniably killed the guy?

I'm just curious, because the same people throwing out the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" or implying he was murdered by cops/guards.

For the record, I definitely don't agree with the notion that he got what he deserved. I just am not going to jump to conclusions that he was offed by an officer of the law based on what his attorney is saying.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear he was being held apart from other prisoners. Otherwise they wouldn't have to investigate to see whether anyone other than guards/supervisors has access to White.

7. forever_town

I'm being really careful about how I word it, but from what we know: 1) he was in solitary confinement, away from other prisoners, 2) he was allegedly checked on 15 minutes prior to being found unresponsive, 3) the only people who had access to the area he was in were police, 4) the initial reports indicated that he had no visible signs of trauma.

They haven't ruled out suicide as a possibility, but it doesn't look likely based on what little we do know. I don't condone vigilantism in this case. I wish due process had played out.

If cops are committing vigilante justice, that is a MAJOR problem no matter who's involved.

8. StaggerLee

No doubt, but the line "no visible signs of trauma" has me wondering.

If he was, in fact, strangled by cops/guards, would he not put up a fight? Wouldn't that fight lead to some kind of bruising (ie visible signs of trauma). Which brings up another question. If he didn't struggle, could it be that he was drugged so he wouldn't put up a fight, which opens up a whole other can 'o worms.

I don't know.

Wouldn't be the first time an inmate strangled him/herself in his/her cell. At the same time, wouldn't be the first time an inmate was killed by guards/cops.

9. StaggerLee

You obviously don't watch Lockdown on MSNBC. :)

To paraphrase Prison Hitman X "Anybody that needs to be got to can be got to."

I've read/seen stories of prisoners in solitary being found stabbed to death in their cells.

Solitary doesn't always mean you're going to be by yourself for 24 hours a day.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If he was guilty, I agree with those who are glad it happened. However, the fact that he may have been wrongfully accused makes me sick.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

There's a good-cop section of the PG County Jail?

12. forever_town

Same here. In fact, that line raises red flags in my mind.

There's definitely something fishy going on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted