1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Accupuncture Friday. What can I expect?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Jul 13, 2007.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Taking a chance tomorrow (technically today) and having my first ever bout with accupuncture to see if I can get rid of the tightness and pain in the lower back.

Anyone every have it done? Did it help? What should I expect?

Even if it doesn't work, the accupuncturist is a top-notch Texas Hold-'Em player so maybe I can pump him for tips.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Better hope he's not a libbie!!!!! :D :D :D

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

That stuff scares the hell out of me. I'd be more afraid of tensing up more.

...That said, good luck and feel better!

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Having an open mind about it is half the battle.
    It doesn't hurt, unless you think getting lightly snapped with a paper clip hurts.
    I've had lots of success with acupuncture for neck problems. I'd also recommend finding a chiropractor or physio who does ART (active release technique). Now THAT hurts, but it's highly effective. Guy who worked on me for awhile is the same guy who got Jason Kidd back on the court months before he was expected.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I really want to try acupuncture. I get pretty bad knots in my back, neck and shoulders. Massage does nothing. Stretching does nothing. I'm hoping the needles can alleviate some of the tension.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The needles go in for free, but you have to pay to get them taken out.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

HB,
    If you can afford it, I recommend a session with Ming Chew. He works with athletes, dancers, writers who don't know how to sit properly in front of computers. Problem is, he doesn't take insurance and costs more than a monthly parking space, but he'll change your life. Or at least your muscle memory ...
    I saw him twice for two hours and he helped banish two decades of neck problems. Now it's just acupuncture every six weeks or so for maintenance.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses (especially BYH -- he was recommended to me by one of my lib friends :D). Sounds like it's what I'm looking for. The apPOINTment is in 8 1/2 hours so I think I'll call it a night. I'll let y'all know how it comes out. I don't know how long the appointment will last but it costs $60.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Am having acupuncture tomorrow to see if it will loosen up my thumb. Will also be going back for neck and back issues.

Have had it done before and it helped promote the healing in a torn rotator cuff.

Just relax and enjoy it.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet it'd be free if you lived in Canada. :D :D :D

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Michael Moore would know where to get it on the cheap in Cuba. ;D

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good luck Old Tony, let us know how it went, because I have been having issues with my back lately.

Draft saved Draft deleted