1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

According to The Record of Hackensack, Martin Brodeur to miss 3-to-4 months.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Nov 4, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

BTW, if you're into goalies, here's maybe the best website around:

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Unless she has another sister or sister-in-law.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

A lot like backup quarterbacks down here.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Byron Leftwich would disagree with you.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

Never thought of it it like that but that's about as good as a comparison as you can get.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't know what happened but there was a long period there when NHL teams had two regular goalies and they both saw a shitload of ice time. I mean, the Habs had Ken Dryden and Bunny Larocque, the Bruins had Gerry Cheevers and Gilles Gilbert, the Flyers had Bernie Parent and Wayne Stephenson, the Isles had Billy Smith and Chico Resch, and on and on....what the hell happened to those days??

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Bettman-style expansion?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

And until Nov. 4, 2008, they haven't needed one.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

He looked great, no doubt. But there had to be a good reason he stayed unemployed until right before week one.

And Leftwich is the exception in a league where the likes of Tyler Thigpen, Brooks Bollinger, Seneca Wallace, Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Dan Orlovsky started or saw extensive time this week.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Devils haven't had a need for another No. 1 goaltender until today, but it can be argued that the organization could have absorbed today's blow if it had a legitimate replacement waiting in the wings.

Think about it this way. The San Francisco 49ers did not need to have Steve Young behind Joe Montana. But I'm pretty sure they were happy as hell to have Young after Leonard Marshall flattened Montana in the 1990 NFC Title Game.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And the Leafs had Sawchuck and Bower.

Those days are gone. Like I said, why would you tie up a load of money on your cap for a back-up?

You pay big bucks for a #1 guy and find some AHL guy who will start 15 or so games and maybe grab you 8 or so wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted